Super Moderator/Coder/Designer nay27uk's Avatar

Default Need Help with: overflow / Word Wrap ect

Right I just noticed that the ckeditor that comes with webid does not automaticaly break the line after a certain amount of charectors have been entered.

This meens that if for example someone comes along and tries to post an item for sale and say they entered for a description the bellow (I know they would'nt, but thats not the point, some people have very long text in a description in only one line + people that dont know about paragraph 's and sentances.)

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMGG GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHH

By the way thats just one line of typing, in otherwords its typed in on one line not ever hitting the enter key on the keyboard so not broken down like it is above wich is exactly what we need to happen on webid for it to get broken down like above.

The line is unbroken and when viewing the confirm auction page the description goes outside of the viewable area (try it and see) this happens on the default theme and my new theme.

I have been googaling for the last hour to try and find a solution for this problem but cant find any at all, I have tried.

overflow: hidden;
    overflow: auto;
    overflow: inherit;
    overflow: scroll;

even tried a nifty CSS

word-wrap: break-word;

but none of the above and nothing I try seems to break the long word down and automaticaly give it a line break.

even making the tables or divs that are on that page have an inherited width value does not stop it overflowing.

Is there any CSS gurus on here that know how to stop a long, long string of text like above not flow over the area it should be displayed in.

Somehow forcing a <br> or even a new paragraph after a set amount of chars
    Last edited by nay27uk; 28-04-2012 at 07:28 PM.

nay27uk, for gods sake do a search ....
    this is something i wanted a few months ago, i could not get it to stay in. And i am not telling you what i did cause it won't help you, plus you will laugh at me.

Banned/Coder/Designer

my text follow window size in the default theme and my old and new facelift theme ,
    but stays same in wbcolors theme
    have no text outside of the viewable area.

Actually I can tell you now because I just checked and I had removed it. I think I used overflow auto on it but I never found a solution hence this awful stretched auction here
    just adding this little code in the description destoys all.
    <h1><span style="font-size:72px;">HELLOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooo</span></h1>

So now I join you on the seek for the solution... HELP ANYBODY.

Thanks pani100 that was my exact point way out of the given area.
    Like I say we need a way of being able to automaticaly set a <br> after a set amount of chars

Quote Originally Posted by pani100 View Post
    nay27uk, for gods sake do a search ....
    this is something i wanted a few months ago, i could not get it to stay in. And i am not telling you what i did cause it won't help you, plus you will laugh at me.
    hahahahahhahahahahah ;P

but to be serious, in ckeditor there is no option to center TEXT in description, I searched in many places of it's issue, and was told to change config file for ckeditor, with <p> to <br> or </ br> but it doen't do nothing . maybe we shoud use and include other editors????
    If you found my posts helpful, feel free to thumb it up
    FORCE ME TO WORK HARDER ----> DONATE recived (147 $) THANKS ALL

I agree Xeonn.
    a more simple editor like the very one this forum uses is enough and it breaks long strings of text

Ok the best solution for this is the

added directly to the item in the CSS your working with.

Take the auction description for example, say that the auction description is in a table with other things in that table, instead of adding overflow: auto; to just the {AUCTIONDESCRIPTION} <tr> or <td> you need to add it to the hole div that houses the description and the table.

So your code as it is now may look like this (example only)

<div class="tablediv">
    <table class="table1">
    <tr>
    <td>{AUCTIONDESCRIPTION}</td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </div>

And the CSS may look somthing like this

tablediv {
    width: 80%;
    padding: 5px;
    Margin: 5px;
    Border: 1px solid #c0c0c0;
    }

table1 {
    width: 100%
    align: center;
    padding: 2px;
    bacground-color: blue;
    }

ok thats an example what you would do here is add the overflow: auto; directly to the tablediv in the css so it becomes

tablediv {
    width: 80%;
    padding: 5px;
    Margin: 5px;
    Border: 1px solid #c0c0c0;
    }

table1 {
    width: 100%
    align: center;
    padding: 2px;
    bacground-color: blue;
    }

This would be a site wide change to anywhere that you asign the <div> the tablediv class but this will not afect anything else you house in the tablediv class it would only scroll when it see that there is overflow
    Last edited by nay27uk; 01-05-2012 at 12:55 PM.