Default CKEditor and Webid 1.0.3: The importance to update to the newest version of CKEditor

Hello to all,

I was facing an issue with CKEditor not loading in Webid 1.0.3 when browsing with firefox.

After doing some research I found out that on some specific Linux installations, under certain circumstances, you could face problems with Firefox.

This happened to be my case: CKEditor failed to load when browsing with the latest release of firefox (11.0) and as a result the CKEditor's windows did not show on the admin side neither the users side of Webid.

Though it seems to be different fixes to that problem I choose one which I think, at least in my case, brought a quick solution plus several advantages. The fix was to update to the latest version of CKEditor.

Webid 1.0.3 uses CKEditor version 3.4.1
    The latest version of CKEditor is 3.6.2
    There has been another 9 updates of the editor in between.
    Each update brought fixes to an ample array of issues and many helpful changes.

Once I updated CKEditor to its latest release (3.6.2) the issue with firefox 11.0, under those specific circumstances of a linux server, were gone and Webid could make proper use of the editor.

On plus to the issue being gone there were also many other advantages of the new updated CKEditor which, as I said above, has included many helpful changes.

The update is a very easy task to perform.

If you all, who know way more than me about Webid (I am only a beginner) find this advise helpful the latest release of the CKEditor (3.6.2) is found at their site and can be downloaded from here.

Best to all and thank you for such a good project in which you all invest so many efforts.

Grinfeld
    Last edited by Grinfeld; 12-04-2012 at 06:33 PM.

Banned/Coder/Designer

Interesting, i once tried update ckeditor ended up with errors.
    can you tell how do you did it.

Hello Dahlsvarehus.com,
    Just re-name your old ckeditor folder to something else like (ckeditorold), download the new version and drop it in your webid install. Thats all, if you have problems just rename your ckeditor folders over and it will be as before.
    I have done like that and did not come across any problems, if anything got rid of a few new ones as mentioned below
    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahlsvarehus.com View Post
    Interesting, i once tried update ckeditor ended up with errors.
    can you tell how do you did it.
    I downloaded their newest version 3.6.2 from here, the very one on top of their list: "CKEditor 3.6.2, released on 13 September 2011"

Then I followed their "Installation Procedures", in my case as a "Fresh Installation" since I had not configured or customized the CKEditor at all, so what I did was to delete from my ckeditor folder all files and folders and upload via FTP the new ones. It worked perfectly right.

Had I done some customization to the old CKEditor I would had followed the procedure for "Upgrade". Both procedures are described at their site as follows:

Installation Procedures

Fresh Installation

To install CKEditor for the first time, proceed in the following way:

Download the latest version of the editor from our website: http://ckeditor.com/download
    Extract (decompress) the downloaded archive to a directory called ckeditor in the root of your website.

important note

You can place the files in any path of your website. The ckeditor directory is the default one.

Upgrade

To upgrade an existing CKEditor installation, proceed in the following way:

Rename your old editor folder to a backup folder, for example ckeditor_old.
    Download the latest version of the editor from our website: http://ckeditor.com/download
    Extract (decompress) the downloaded archive to the original editor directory, for example ckeditor.
    Copy all configuration files that you have changed from the backup folder to their corresponding position in the new directory. These could include (but do not have to be limited to) the following files:
    config.js
    contents.css
    plugins/templates/templates/default.js
    plugins/styles/styles/default.js
    plugins/pastefromword/filter/default.js

Verification of the Installation

CKEditor comes with a few sample pages that can be used to verify that installation proceeded properly. In order to see whether the editor is working, take a look at the _samples directory.

To test your installation, call the following page at your website:
    http://<your site>/<CKEditor installation path>/_samples/index.html

The most important part for me was that immediately the issue of CKEditor not loading with Firefox 11.0 was gone. As a plus I then notice all the helpful changes the new version has. Hope it helps you and others as well. Let me know if you do the upgrade and how the upcoming was. Best to you.
    Last edited by Grinfeld; 12-04-2012 at 08:30 PM.
    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Banned/Coder/Designer

thank you for your great explanation, i just did as pani100 suggested renamed old one uploaded new one and it was ok from the start, guess i had used wrong package last time.
    and nice tip with the ckeditor/_samples/index.html test. i bookmark that
    Last edited by Dahlsvarehus.com; 12-04-2012 at 08:45 PM.

Glad to hear it worked out!

Hi,
    after getting rid of a few faults I am stuck with 2 .
    in chrome i am getting Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token < in the console :

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token <
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
    <html lang="en" dir="ltr">

How the ... does it go right between the first line? After searching around I am guided to the
    code inserted for the ckeditor. It comes from:

<textarea name="description" rows="8" cols="60"></textarea>
    <script type="text/javascript">//<![CDATA[
    window.CKEDITOR_BASEPATH='/.............../ckeditor/';
    //]]></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="/......../ckeditor/ckeditor.js?t=B8DJ5M3"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript">//<![CDATA[
    CKEDITOR.replace('description');
    //]]></script>

It is produced from the ckeditor.js. And am thinking it is because of the // inserted by it.
    Have made my eyes bad looking at all the squeezed code but have been unable to find where it is made exactly to remove it. Any thoughts anyone? This only appears in chrome.

If I remove {AUC_DESCRIPTION} out of sell tpl all working without a fault.

The other is: bn is not a function when clicking on yes to buy now. Probably a jQUery fault this one. Appears on firefox too.
    Last edited by pani100; 12-04-2012 at 11:07 PM.

Banned/Coder/Designer

don´t update ckeditor to the newone, it has lots of <br /> that is used in xhtml and webid is html.
    i use firefox 11.0 and has no problems with the old one

includes index.php has a xhtml wrapper not sure if any other files do

Banned/Coder/Designer

ckeditor v3.6.2
    38 files has <br /> in them
    they are .html .php and .js