Thread: Future plans

Administrator/Coder/Designer renlok's Avatar

Default Future plans

OK well I've been really busy recently so i haven't been able to do any work on WeBid.

But I've been thinking and it seems most people want completely different things when it comes to auction scripts. So to make WeBid as flexible as possible im going to recode the core of WeBid so it works like a module driven system similar to Drupal/joomla etc.

This will mean it will be much easier for people to make mods also you can much easier edit your site to work exactly how you want it (Well after the modules you need have been written)

I will still work on bug fixes for the 0.8 series as this new WeBid will probably take 6 months plus to develop (No time limit will be given yet) and noone likes a buggy script. Im not sure when ill have time but im hopping at the weekend ill have time to have a big bug fixing session.

Regards, Chris.
    Follow Us on Twitter | Search WeBid | LinkedIn
    Please don't PM me for support, ask in the forums then the answer can help everyone.

If someones post was helpful please remember dont forget to click the

Does this mean things already in the works (ie. Google checkout, last of the fees, etc.) for .8 on are going to slip ~6 months (+/-) to revamp the base package?

I assume it will for future stuff not started like shipping calculators, etc. but it sure would be great to have the last of the basics in first so a reasonable public release for many could be made in the interim.
    Last edited by Box Lot; 24-10-2009 at 12:25 AM.

Everyone should try to replicate Bugs & post results

• I wont respond to users who;

-Repeatedly ask for help & don't make the above simple contribution to the project
    -Don't follow rules or search for solutions.

-Clearly haven't reviewed the WeBid Admin. and/or tested a simple scenario on their site.

well ill probably add shipping calculators & google checkout but the stuff thats less important wont get added until v1
    Please don't PM me for support, ask in the forums then the answer can help everyone.

Cool and thanks but at the risk of sounding dense your going to do that stuff (GC, calcs..) and THEN start the modular transformation prior to 1.0 right?

Wouldn't be the first time I sounded dense so what the hell.

Everyone should try to replicate Bugs & post results

• I wont respond to users who;

-Repeatedly ask for help & don't make the above simple contribution to the project
    -Don't follow rules or search for solutions.

-Clearly haven't reviewed the WeBid Admin. and/or tested a simple scenario on their site.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by renlok View Post
    im going to recode the core of WeBid so it works like a module driven system similar to Drupal/joomla etc.

Regards, Chris.
    As just an idea: You may give silverstripe a trial and use its underlying framework sapphire. This would give te ability to simply code modules to WeBid or to enhance it in a simple way for Users.

Quote Originally Posted by emil.blume View Post
    As just an idea: You may give silverstripe a trial and use its underlying framework sapphire. This would give te ability to simply code modules to WeBid or to enhance it in a simple way for Users.
    what is it? looks like some sort of template generator.

Senior Member/Coder Tester clivester's Avatar

Looks like a Ruby on Rails development framework but built around PHP.

Another update on what im doing.

As theres still quite a few bugs coming though im planning on not starting for a while im going to finish skinning the admin panel along with adding important missing features from it and reorganising as best as i can to make it easier to find things.

I'm also going to work on the new theme (which isn't really going to be new just an much revamped version of the current one).

I'm also not going to add any big features until the current ones are more stable.

As an extra note I've hired a designed to redesign this site but i may wait for vb 4 to be released before i implement it

I certainly agree with Renlok tat all effort should be placed on getting the current software stable and all bugs fixed. I just upgraded to 0.8.3 and have a number of bugs that weren't there on 0.8.2. I have posted those else where.