select category

Discussion in 'General Support' started by super_st, Dec 5, 2012.

1. super_st

super_st Well-Known Member

Hi all

I have 1.0.6 currently installed. Currently in 'sell an item' you get the option to choose category.

Selecting the category doesnt seem to work using an iphone... i know the theme isnt really developed for mobile use so i was thinking maybe using dropdown menus may work better, but i am unsure of how to change this.

Any help would be great :D

Also it would be great for webid if a mobile friendly theme could be introduced in the future as mobile use is on the up.

Chris

2. leoinker

leoinker Donor Donor

I have had the same problem. It appears that there are collapsing margins which makes the "select category" unusable on lower-resolutions. This is a very serious flaw. I have tried adding padding to boxes to prevent the margin collapse, but I haven't had any success in fixing the problem.
    This same bug appears on "Advance Search" when trying to use the drop-down menus.

Could someone with more coding experience please help! I would be willing to pay for the service!
    Thanks!

3. leoinker

leoinker Donor Donor

What OS/browser did you test with? - And what version of WeBid?

This bug does not apply only to apple devices. I have tested WeBid 1.06 stock settings with Jellybean, ICS, and Gingerbread OS using both Desktop UI and Android UI on every major brower available for droid. Gingerbread 2.3 Is the only device that displays the entire category box, but the categories themselves do not show, and are not selectable. Clicking the category box attempts to submit "select_category.php#goto" without any content.

4. renlok

renlok Administrator Staff Member

OK I've recently bought myself a smartphone, could someone make a list of pages that don't render properly/work at all and I will try my best to get them fixed.

5. leoinker

leoinker Donor Donor

None of the drop-down menus work anywhere except on viewfaqs.php and contents.php

index.php
    - The categories drop-down menu for "search" does not work.

select_category.php
    - The parent box containing the category selection does not display categories. When the parent box is clicked, it loads "select_category.php#goto" without any selection. - And does not show a sub-category box. (It appears that the parent box itself renders as a category, but when submitted it obviously cannot obtain info for this non-existent category)

register.php
    - The drop-down menus for "Date of Birth", "Country", and "Timezone" do not function. (You can click them, but it does not display the drop-down menu.)

user_login.php

While testing these pages I noticed that if I navigate to index.php FROM contents.php or viewfaqs.php the drop down menus are temporarily functional. I would assume this has to do with styles from contents.php/veiwfaqs.php being cached.

6. leoinker

leoinker Donor Donor

OK, I just did some more testing. I made a fresh install in a subdirectory on my server and all drop-down menus worked until I registered an account via register.php. Once i signed in, all drop-down menus stopped working on every page, except viewfaqs.php and contents.php
    I then Logged Out, and tried the drop-down menus, and they worked! When not signed in, "select_category.php" redirects to "user_login.php" (which is good) so I cannot test the categories box on that page without being logged in.

Nonetheless, It's become obvious that signing in breaks all the drop-down menus and category boxes.

7. kaerte

kaerte Member Developer

Category select boxes (inputs) won't work well on smartphones because of onClick event attached to them: onClick="SubmitBoxes({boxes.I})"
    I came across this issue and fixed it by using onchange="SubmitBoxes({boxes.I})" and removing css styling from the box so it's just a dropdown menu. Works fine this way on my android

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  8. kaerte

kaerte Member Developer

Yes. I did not mention the tpl file. Thanks.:)

line 34 in select_category.tpl (default 1.0.6 theme)

Code:
    <select name="cat{boxes.I}" class="box" size="15" onClick="SubmitBoxes({boxes.I})" style="width:230px;">
    replace with

Code:
    <select name="cat{boxes.I}" onchange="SubmitBoxes({boxes.I})">
    This will remove "square" and create drop down.

Search drop down (next to search) are working fine for me as well as dates drop downs. They do not show up but instead I'm getting native android menu

[​IMG]

Donations are always welcome ;)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. leoinker

leoinker Donor Donor

I still don't understand why the category list would collapse on phone, even when using desktop UA, but your method was a simple fix! I actually like the design better with the drop-down menus.
    I haven't coded anything for years, and what I haven't forgotten has become much more complex. I never was a whiz at this, anyway. Now I'm diving in head first, so I'll probably be back here again later asking for help.
    THANK YOU! =)

kaerte:
    I just need to know where to send it. Please PM me with your paypal address. :)

EDIT:> One more problem with mobile use, when trying to upload an image, the "Choose File" button does not work.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  10. leoinker

leoinker Donor Donor

One more problem with mobile use: The "Choose File" and "Upload File" buttons do not work.

11. nay27uk

nay27uk Super Moderator Staff Member

leoinker could you please stop pressing the submit topic button your double, triple, and quad posting.
    Press the buton once and wait its not a bnug with this site its probably your internet running slow.

I have left your first one in but removed the other 5 that are the same

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  12. leoinker

leoinker Donor Donor

I replied to this thread previously, but my post disappeared!

Thanks, Kaerte! I just need to know where to send the donation! (via paypal)

And just for confirmation - The drop down boxes I previously mentioned, ARE working on mobile with Chrome browser (They do not work with Maxthon). However, creating a thumbnail does not work with any mobile browsers I've tested.

13. kaerte

kaerte Member Developer

You are welcome.

I know that thumbnail creation doesn't work. Please have a look at my theme (in modern themes). I tested this theme on mobiles because its responsive and had to remove thumbnail creation process (area selection). I'm working on a mod which will include ajax gallery and automatic thumbnail creation, but cannot give any deadline for this at the moment.

14. leoinker

leoinker Donor Donor

Woah! sorry! I didn't keep clicking anything! I made a post, then checked here 10mins later and it wasn't showing, so I made a short post stating that thumbnails weren't working, but it didn't display either. So I waited a few days, and decided to give it a try again. Your post didn't show up until today, either. bug?

@kaerte - All I would like to see is small changes to the current set up.
    A. Select area to create thumbnail (Without static dimensions)
    B. Auto-thumbnail resize (That actually works when clicking "Cancel", without having to select part of the image first)
    -and this would be nice addition, but definitively not urgent-
    C. Bulk picture upload. (Ability to hold 'Ctrl' and select multiple images, and put them uploading all at once)

15. helios

helios Member

Hi this only works for one category and one sub.
    When you have two sub categories the dropdown will hang.

16. redrider

redrider Donor Donor

Donations? At the very top of the page is a blue button marked Donate. And when you log in there's a notice about the donations ratio - and another button. Now if your really keen to donate to someone, well ahem.....

17. reactiveflow

reactiveflow New Member

Hi,
    I have changed line line 34 in select_category.tpl as above and it does fix the smartphone issue.

But in doing this, I have had to add a blank category to each sub category table- so that users can pick the first category in the list. This means that there is
    1. A blank bullet for this first empty category on the home page - which looks bad
    2. On select category, within the sell an item page- there is a blank space. ( I would prefer the first choice to be visible and selectable)
    I hope this is clear- and is a simple fix ?
    Do I need to change the database, or is it possible to alter the code to allow users to select the first category from each table?
    With thanks

18. Brian Aitchison

Brian Aitchison New Member

hi im new im using webbid 1.2 when sell and item the the dropdown r working i can select but rhen i get page not displayed unable to handle.. halocomputers ro example u will see the register and log in works.. on main page go to auction the other login is for my shop im building