Retract Bid by Bidder

Discussion in 'Modding/Theme Help' started by scottw, Jan 15, 2014.

1. scottw

scottw New Member

Is there a way for a bidder to retract/cancel a bid they placed in an auction?

Does anyone know how to modify the script to enable this so bidders can retract a bid if they make a mistake.

Thanks

2. nay27uk

nay27uk Super Moderator Staff Member

This has been discussed on the forums before and requested by me, a search of the forum will find the posts.

It was decided that this would not be added to WeBid and no one would code a mod for it as it was deemed it would be unfair to sellers using your site.

EDIT:: just done a search and it seems my post must have got lost when the new forum was installed as a search for terms like

Bid Retraction
    Cancel Bid
    Retract a Bid

ect does not bring up my post

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  3. DrJ

DrJ Active Member

To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to cancel a bid. I make sure to use the option where bidders have to verify their bid by entering their password. This should eliminate MOST of the mistakes. If there is a problem I just ask that users contact me BEFORE the auction ends, and I manually delete their errant bid from the database.

4. scottw

scottw New Member

5. scottw

scottw New Member

Thank you for your reply.

Can you provide me instructions on how to delete a bid from the database?

I'm actually more interested in the seller being able to cancel/retract a bid than for bidders to be able to do it themselves. My auction site is for a charity fundraiser so we're happy to let the seller (only one seller for the site) manage the cancellations.

6. scottw

scottw New Member

Thank you for your reply.

I'm not concerned about it being unfair for the seller because my auction site is for a charity fundraiser and all the bidders have been invited to the auction. Even if there is a way for the seller or the site admin to cancel/retract bids that would be very useful for my use. If you know of a way for the seller or admin to do it that would be greatly appreciated.

7. DrJ

DrJ Active Member

The only way for anyone to retract/delete a bid is for them to have access to your database, NEVER a good idea. If you were to give access to your database to all sellers, they would be able to gather personal information about bidders that can make you liable if something were to happen. If you want to delete a bid, just access your database in pHpMyAdmin, open the webid_bids table and delete the bid desired.

8. scottw

scottw New Member

I fully agree with you. It wouldn't be open to anyone to do, just the owner of the website who is also the only seller on the site. So people would have to email the seller and then the seller will make the deletion. Only the seller, who is also the owner of the website, has access to the database.

Thanks for the info on how to delete the bid. Very helpful and is definitely a way for us to do what we need - thanks.

9. bmroy

bmroy Member

Reading about the wants / needs for a retract /delete bid option, My mind is thinking that merging a few pieces of code that is already existing in the script this could be done easily.. My thought was on the item page if the seller is logged in they already have option to edit the auction... There is also the option to see the bid history. Maybe in the bid history if the seller is logged in the option would be available in a new column with a little trash button. There things will happen when they click the trash button for that bid..

1) A confirmation "Are you Sure?"
    2) The bid will be removed from the database
    3) An email or even a message will be sent to the bidder to confirm there bid was cancelled by the seller..

I also think this would be easy to duplicate on the admin side as well. Just my thoughts... If there are a few members that are looking for this I would take the time to make a mod for this... Please let me hear your responses..

Regards,
    Brandon

10. DrJ

DrJ Active Member

I think it's great that you are willing to take on such a project and great that you are willing to help. If you are looking for input, I don't feel the need for such a mod. I have successfully run over two thousand auctions through my site and have never had the need to retract a single bid. Some people may like the idea, which is fine, just giving my input.

11. scottw

scottw New Member

Hi Brandon,

This would be a great mod to have. I wish I had the skills to do it myself. If you're able to do it please let me know as I would be very interested in using it.

Thanks

12. furnic

furnic Donor Donor

I would also use this. Sometimes things happen but I think only the seller and the auction admin should have the ability to retract a bid, definitely not the buyer

13. pani100

pani100 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  14. furnic

furnic Donor Donor

Thanks for the above link but not sure how to proceed? When you brain has come back to life, is there anything you can put in some format to download for semi clueless non coders?

15. pani100

Ok will put it on the to do list

16. furnic

furnic Donor Donor

17. pani100

furnic, if I get time I will look at it over the weekend

SamKia likes this.
  18. kingwoodauctions

kingwoodauctions New Member

Just my 2 cents. In the state of Texas during a live auction a bidder may legally retract a bid before the hammer falls.

Currently online auctions are not regulated in this state but they are working on doing so and I foresee that eventually they will be and as such a bidder most likely will be permitted to retract their bids.

It would be of great help to at very least allow the admin to retract a bid easily without having to go into PHPadmin.

19. bigal

bigal Donor Donor

Here in NZ the most popular auction site allows bidders to ask the seller if they would withdraw their last bid by PM in the auction.
    Normally request is accepted and withdrawn by the seller but its at their discretion.