Prevent Site Access To Known Bad Bots with Project Honey Pot V1.0

prevent spam and scams

1. pani100

pani100 Well-Known Member

pani100 submitted a new resource:

Prevent Site Access To Known Bad Bots with Project Honey Pot - prevent spam and scams
    Enjoy

Read more about this resource...

2. david62311

david62311 Well-Known Member

I thought you already listed something for project honeypot? I loaded it on my site through your instructions somewhere in this forum. I just the saw the project honeypot bot hit on my site yesterday. I checked the IP out to make sure it was what it said it was. The ISP matched up.

The problem I found with the blacklist that Project Honey Pot and Botscout is some of bots don't ever get reported. The bot controller rotates out what IP it wants to use so frequently that they can't keep up adding them all to the blacklist.

These tools are really GREAT to have! Any added security is nice to have. It's also good if admins know or learn bot behavior and know how to watch their visitor log and check their IP out block them manually after they determine they are bots.

I didn't even see your zip file pani100. Thanks for sharing that!

I got to admit. It's embarrassing. I didn't even know I was in the mod section. LOL I was just looking at the newest posts! :p

3. bgrantland

bgrantland Donor Donor

I set up a Honeypot account and downloaded their script but I didn't find any place on their website where I could get a unique access key to add to functions_honeypot.php.

4. pani100

pani100 Well-Known Member

5. Cash Crusaders NZ

Cash Crusaders NZ New Member

Hi gents, I am not a PHP expert or even remotely a beginner, but I am a developer, however the dinasaur type
    Yout Instructions for the latest version 1.2.1(1.2.2) should read:
    In file common.php in Webid root:
    Find:
    include INCLUDE_PATH . 'template/Template.php';
    Replace with:
    include INCLUDE_PATH . 'template/Template.php';
    require_once(INCLUDE_PATH . 'functions_honeypot.php');
    Is this correct? If not please supply the correct instructions here. Thanks a lot.

xcman85 likes this.
  6. Cash Crusaders NZ

I use WEBID version 1.2.2

In the updates tab it seems this Honeypot plugin is meant for WEBID version 1.1.1/1.1.2. I have added it and made some changes for 1.2.2 and it seems to work. Maybe it a good time to review for version 1.2.2 and provide the option.

common.php refers to file template.php. Just change the path to “template/Template.php” with capital “T” for Template.php

Functions_honeypot.php code caused an error in the error log. Whether this was due to spammers or just a code problem I would not know. I looked at the code and added some code as follows. It seems to have worked and the errors disappeared. It complained about an undefined variable values for “$typemeaning” and “$block”:
    After code:
    PHP:
            // query successful !

$activity $result[1];

$threat $result[2];

$type $result[3];
    Add Code:
    PHP:
                      $typemeaning '';

$block false;
    Note, I am not PHP developer, but used some common sense, so be kind.

functions_global.php logged the following errors in the system error log file. I am am not sure whether this is due to Botscout or Honeypot. If this:

Notice: Undefined variable: MSG in /home/classifi/public_html/cashcrusaders/includes/functions_global.php on line 51\n, referer: https://www.cashcrusaders.co.nz/message.php

Notice: Undefined variable: MSG in /home/classifi/public_html/cashcrusaders/includes/functions_global.php on line 50\n, referer: https://www.cashcrusaders.co.nz/message.php

Find code below around line 50:
    PHP:
                    $_SESSION['msg_title'] = $MSG['2_0027'];

$_SESSION['msg_body'] = $MSG['2_0026'];

header('location: message.php');
    Change “message.php” to:
    PHP:
                    header('location: language/EN/messages.inc.php');
    Again, I trust this is correct. It seems to have cleared the problem.
    If this is actually a problem relating to the Honeypot plugin, can you please post it there. Maybe both plugins uses this coding.

7. Cash Crusaders NZ

I have forgotten to something very important. If you install this pugin you must create a directory in your root called Logs and and a text file called block.log. The code requesting the file is found in functions_honeypot.php and on line 77. I think the instruction is missing on the installation instructions.

8. Shades

Shades New Member

What permissions to chmod Logs and Logs/block.log? 777 or?