Organised translations

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by renlok, Mar 9, 2014.

1. renlok

renlok Administrator Staff Member

OK historically the translations for webid have been a bit unorganised a lot of fantastic translators do some amazing work but often it gets lost in the translation board and noone knows what version it was for so we end up having a few of the same thing done by different people now obviously that's a wasted effort. Recently I have discovered a website that allows for collaborative translations which is what I plan on using in the future.

Nothing has been done with it yet but if you speak a language and want to contribute please say so and I will add you to the team

Here is the url
    https://github.com/renlok/WeBid-Translations

A good starting point is the existing translations
    http://www.webidsupport.com/wiki/Translations
    http://www.webidsupport.com/wiki/Language_Changes

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  2. renlok

I've updated most of the languages with the ones done in the past only missing 170-200 lines from each not a bad start. Then we will have 10 updated translations for 1.1 & 1.1.1 :)

3. silverwolf

silverwolf New Member

Hi all, sorry for my bad english.

I only say you i translate webid in french 100%.

I test now if i dont wrongn.

4. Alejandro Landini

Alejandro Landini Donor Donor

Hola i am registering in transifex and i'm translate in spanish. This it is working?

5. Alejandro Landini

How can i help to maintence this?

6. NozlafAu

NozlafAu Active Member

think renlok needs to update the language files on transifex but the current development version has a major change to language files so maybe its a difficult time

7. Alejandro Landini

8. david62311

david62311 Well-Known Member

I added the zip for Spanish to the latest Webid project but, I accidentally named one of the files wrong as I mentioned in the link below. Espanol Language for the 1.2.1(p2) Webid Version The new name to name the filename is there. The message said "please rename the categories.php file to categories.inc.php." You can find the new Spanish here too but, just rename that one file. http://www.webidsupport.com/forums/...-language-for-the-1-2-1-p2-webid-version.111/

Unless it's something else that you need help with then let me know.

People can contribute and update the Language files here https://github.com/renlok/WeBid-Translations and then submit their proposal there too. I would suggest using this link to contribute because a team can help out with Translations. The hardest part is figuring out what NEW English messages have been recently added to Webid and then translating them. There's no order in how the new messages were added. I found some new English Messages in the middle of the page. All new messages should of been placed at the bottom and in alphabetical order but, they weren't.

I didn't do it with the Spanish Language but, I will give you a tip to make it easier to translate. If you go to translate a Language then I suggest to use double quotes instead of single quotes for languages like Spanish that have special characters in them. Those special characters can mess up the whole page of code if they are not in double quotes. This is why I say use double quotes on the messages. Some of the Spanish still has single quotes but, could be updated.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  9. renlok

Yeah I'm making some changes to the messages so its easier to translate (although harder to find new messages, easiest way it to use a diff checker) as I'm grouping the strings together so strings that are used to gather can be found together.
    I'm also changing some of the numbered strings into text strings but I will post a list at some point of the changes so people don't have to hunt to figure out whats gone on

david62311 likes this.
  10. Alejandro Landini

i seem best transifex, but don't problem, i translate in renlok...

11. david62311

It's a lot of work. I remember pani100 had added Google Translate to his Webid site. It seems like the easier way to get messages translated rather than to go through thousands of messages and translating them one by one. However, I just looked at the Google Translate API and they offer a Free trial so, it must cost money so, change of mind when I see that. Here's some info an example on how to use it. http://www.w3schools.com/howto/howto_google_translate.asp

In notepad++ you can use a plug-in called TextFX to sort out some of those messages in alphabetical or numerical order. It might come in handy.

@Alejandro Landini thanks for offering to help out. Start with the latest messages.inc.php EN messages that has a lot of updates. I've done a lot of work on the Spanish already. If you see something that needs to be added then make the changes here under the Spanish and the send a proposal in to Renlok. https://github.com/renlok/WeBid-Translations/tree/master/es If you want to translate and edit messages for other Languages then here's the other different Languages. https://github.com/renlok/WeBid-Translations There is a lot that needs to be updated in the other Languages other than Spanish or Italian and it takes a lot of work. It's not easy and any little mistake can cause the whole Language file to not work at all. Be sure to check your work before proposing it to Renlok. Good luck! Let us know if you need help with something!

12. Alejandro Landini

Ok Inm redy to work!

13. Alejandro Landini

Hi ,
    I found several difference betwen eng_messages.inc.php and esp_messages.inc.php.
    In eng_messages there are near of 200 lines less than esp_messages.
    and in esp_messages are 38 lines in less.
    to better find the differences, add only the eng_messages blank lines, and add the lines that lacked the esp_messages. in such ways that can go both files synchronously.
    My question is: missing in the eng_messages lines are obsolete?
    i can take as good de file eng_messages in eng folder?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  14. renlok

Yeah I just had a look and the English files there are pretty outdated, Ill update them to 1.2.1

15. david62311

I just was in my Bing Webmaster Tools and noticed in the widgets there was a translator. I recently tried the Google Translator but, it wasn't working in my Firefox. I gave the Bing Translator a try and went to different pages and it seems like a nice Translator. I added it inside the global_header.tpl theme file and this is what it looks like.
    capture-20161105-003437.png

The Bing Translator Floats over the page and you can move it. If you hover over something it will show the original Language like in the photo. It's only one line of code to add to your page and I would recommend adding it to the global_header.tpl file. I think most people would add it to the bottom of the code on the page but, that would be up to you were you add it.

The link to get this tool is: https://www.bing.com/widget/translator

I would think the one problem for using the Bing translator would be the emails message. I don't think they would come out in a Language chosen. I think we would still have to manually translate the email messages.

If you use the Bing Translator tool on a Webid site and don't want to use it anymore the just click the 'x' and then it will go back to the default Language that was chosen.

This Translate Bin will always be there if you need to use it again after closing it out.
    capture-20161105-010421.png

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    Shaman likes this.
  16. maconl

maconl Member

sorry to bump this up ..
    after being away for more then 3 years (no i wasn't lost haha)
    i remember me i translated the dutch some years ago i see now a lot have been changed ,in webid ,,
    great to see Renlock :)
    i have to dive into it again , a
    lso how far the dutch translation is i don't know yet but if there is needed any help no problem for me
    so now i gonna download webid again and start over where i ended 3 years ago

17. Box Lot

Box Lot Super Moderator Staff Member Developer

Welcome back.