Notice for possible temporary down time.

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by renlok, Mar 29, 2012.

1. renlok

renlok Administrator Staff Member

This site is still hosted on shared hosting and just got an email from my host pretty much saying I am killing the MySQL server with 4m+ reads an hour compared to the server avg of around 200k an hour. Anyway I spent the last few hours trying to optimise the forum to reduce this, dont know if i made much difference but I will hear back tomorrow if not I will have to relocate the MySQL to an external server, hence the site will be down for a short while.

Summed up the site may or may not go down tomorrow just a heads up so you dont panic when your favourite website is temporally inaccessible. :cool:

2. Rupert Avery

Rupert Avery New Member

thanks for letting us know :)

you could ask them for a good deal on a personal server ??

3. renlok

renlok Administrator Staff Member

hmm thats a good idea might see if they will :)

4. Guest

Guest Guest

also tons of spam like this one
    ---
    Concentrate on relaxation techniques or just seated and concentrating on what's right in your life, are associated with improved satisfaction and declined pressure. Splitting out the measuring stick to figure out hill from molehill can sometimes help obvious your go.

Lone Mountain Truck Leasing
    ---
    easy spotted some computer generated nonsense and a link in the button.
    nice if you set up some spam protection to stop it

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2012
  5. Box Lot

Box Lot Super Moderator Staff Member Developer

The Mayans predicted this.

Super interested in your Lone Mountain Truck Leasing Dahls. Relaxation techniques too.

6. Box Lot

Box Lot Super Moderator Staff Member Developer

Not sure of all the ins/outs but filters set up by Renlok and working:

I'm guessing some of this stuff requires human moderation.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

maybe renlok could set up so all new users have to use captcha to post.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2012
  8. nay27uk

nay27uk Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up ren if you get stuck let me know.

As for the spam thing most forums now a days make people give at least 5 - 10 good on topic responces to other threads before one can post thier own thread, and not just responces like "GOOD POST" it has to be 5 - 10 real responces regarding the thread that are made up of full sentances and paragraphs and that are on the same topic as the thread.

Spammers usualy give up after trying about 2 times they aint got the time to mess around giving real responces to topics, all they are here for is to post a spam post and leave.

If someone does take the time to fill in 5 or 10 real and good responces to topics by this time you know they are serious about the forum topics and subjects.

Or disalow members from being able to post URL's in topics or in signatures untill they reach a certain membership level like mine across to the left says "Seniour Member" someone from the member group of say "Newbie" would not be able to post URL's in posts or in signatures.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012