nothing I edit will save

Discussion in 'General Support' started by Shadav, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Shadav

Shadav New Member

I noticed yesterday that when editing the FAQ it wouldn't save
    I cleared cache and still the edits wouldn't save....

Today trying to ban ips and again it won't save, the page refreshes like it saved but no changes were actually made and it still says
    No IP addresses have been banned as of yet.

I have cleared cache, I have turned cache off.....

how to fix these issues?

2. david62311

david62311 Well-Known Member

3. david62311

Don't bother ban IPs. It's useless these days and the more IPs you block, the slower your page will load. The IPs are not real IPs. It could be the same bot using multiple IPs. They are pretty random. People these days use VPN too so, even if you ban their IP, they will just change them.

Best thing to do is block them via .htaccess. Block browsers that aren't current. Browsers these days update automatically and quite frequently and without our knowledge. The bot signatures use older browser signatures.

4. Shadav

Shadav New Member

well yes I posted on that about the faq, but then noticed same issue with the ip....so started new post since it was a somewhat separate matter but the same issue....

also banned emails in the admin and yet registration with banned emails is still allowed

my site is getting hit hard by a spam bot

5. david62311

Welcome to the internet! We get screwed if we advertise our sites because it attracts bots. If you advertise a site in here, you get a swarm of bots. Blocking IPs and e-mail addresses is useless.

The Google Recaptcha is useless. 99.9% of the Captchas are useless. Google ReCaptcha just happens to be a little better than most of them though. I hope you are at least using the Google ReCaptcha.

Block them via .htaccess file. Here's more on how to block them via .htaccess.

http://www.webidsupport.com/forums/...11-shared-htaccess-file-code.8508/#post-51708

You will have to update the coding for the newer browsers. Browsers automatically update weekly without our knowledge. Google Chrome is up to Version 83.

This is an example of what I mean by block the old browsers:

Code:
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} Chrome/1 [NC,OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} Chrome/2 [NC,OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} Chrome/3 [NC,OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} Chrome/4 [NC,OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} Chrome/5 [NC,OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} Chrome/6 [NC,OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} Chrome/7 [NC,OR]
    That will block the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s.

Do the same for the Firefox and your site will quiet down still letting real users in.

If you don't do the .htaccess blocks then you will be busy for the rest of your life trying to block every IP and e-mail.

I would delete any users you might have on your Webid site that you suspect are bots. They will hack your site if you leave them there too long. They may be inactive until they get enough bots on the site.

Bots 5 to 10 years ago used to be calmer. Now they are aggressive as can be and they adapt to blocks so, you have to keep up with blocking them until they hit a wall that they can't get through. I have more than just my .htaccess blocks up just in case the bots get through, then they find my unpublished trap pages and then get banned.

6. Shadav

Shadav New Member

thanks for that, we'll see if it helps....
    I put in recaptcha, botscout, and projecthoney....
    now to wait and see...

still not able to block ips in the admin, it does not save
    and blocking emails does no good, even though they do save, "people" (bots) are still able to register using banned emails

7. david62311

botscout of projecthoney used to be okay but, they can't keep up with the blacklist for the e-mails and IPs.

I go to my cpanel and open up "Deny IP" and block the first two sets of digits leaving a period a the end.

Go to your visitor log and you will see the same bot can skim a site with different IP addresses.

8. david62311

@Shadav I got my Webid to work again.

Go into your Webid Admin panel and go to tools and select purge your log. We need to see if any errors pop up when you are trying this. If they are then post them here LEAVING OUT the first page of your link. The first part is too sensitive for your own security on your site.

I was able to go into my contents tab and click on New FAQ and add my text to the language I wanted and then click save changes and my text was saved. I flipped to other links and came back and the FAQ Text that I added to the FAQ was still there. Try this and let us know if it saves there for you. Check your error log too and let us know if you get any errors and what the error is. If this 1st thing you try when adding something to your FAQ doesn't work then we will have to look deeper into it. I would check your database to see if your text was inputted there.

Look for it in your PHPmyAdmin or whatever other database service you might be using. Your text should be showing in the webid_faqs section like my FAQ Number 1 text is showing in id 11 below here. If it's not then don't go any further in my suggestions below. It has to be added to the database first before we can go any further. I pressed for time today but, I will help later if you can't get it to work and ask for help.

FAQs in Webid Database.png

If the FAQ does get inputted and you are getting a blank page on your user side then this page is where the solution may be.
    http://www.webidsupport.com/forums/...not-being-displayed-properly.8727/#post-45877

It may have to do with the link under the help on your main Webid page isn't matching up. I did that fix so long ago that I barely remember it. Let us know if you get it working and what you did to make it work. If not and you still need help then I will come back on tonight or tomorrow and check and see.

By the way, if my fix works in that link two paragraphs up then you should change it for both the modern and classic themes or whatever other theme you might be using.

Around line of code at the bottom of your help.tpl theme page needs to be linked up to the same name your php file.
    Code:
                        <a class="list-group-item" href="viewhelp.php?cat={cats.ID}">{cats.CAT}</a>
    The line of code on the theme page for global_header.tpl in all themes or just the one you want to use needs to be linked correctly too around line 73. It should look like this:
    Code:
    <li><a href="{SITEURL}help.php" alt="faqs" class="new-window">{L_148}</a></li>
    We may have to look at the help.tpl theme page and the help.php page at this point if it doesn't work.

On the help.tpl page around line 29 it needs to link to the viewhelp.php too:
    <a class="list-group-item" href="viewhelp.php?cat={cats.ID}">{cats.CAT}</a>

I am out of time right now and I was working as fast as I could. We would have to make sure the viewhelp.php page is connecting to the right part of the database which I mentioned in the beginning. If your text message didn't make it to the database then that's where you need to start.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  9. Shadav

Shadav New Member

I can create a new faq without any problem....and they display fine...
    the problem is if I edit a faq....it does not save

and no, there's no errors in my logs

if you go to manage faqs and click on one, I'm trying the registering faq
    edit the text in any way, click on save changes
    now click on the faq again (registering)
    none of the changes were saved

now I can delete the faq and create a new one....but then the same thing happens if you try to edit it....only solution is to delete and make a new one....

10. Shadav

Shadav New Member

oh and implementing what you posted above....it's now been 2 days and no spam registrations, so that's at least a good thing...I was getting 10 - 20 a day

david62311 likes this.
  11. david62311

I just now got my FAQs to display correctly. I had changed all of my viewhelp to helpview because bots were poking at it too much. There was a lot of pages involved. e.g. global_header.tpl, home.tpl, viewhelp.tpl, and viewhelp.php . I got it to work now. When I don't touch the coding for many years, I forget what I did.

I am glad your spam registrations stopped or slowed down.

12. david62311

So is this problem is just in your admin panel under manage FAQ? I saw an issue there when I was messing with it today.

Mine is working. I can edit or delete the Manage FAQs in the admin panel under contents>manage FAQs.

I am going to assume you use modern theme for your admin panel:

Try this these codes on these pages.

Back up your files. Copy and paste the code from this page into the admin folder for editfaq.php
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/renlok/WeBid/master/admin/editfaq.php

Back up your file and copy and paste the code from the link below to adminModern theme page for editfaq.tpl
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/renlok/WeBid/master/themes/adminModern/editfaq.tpl

If you are using the adminClassic theme then use the code from this link:
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/renlok/WeBid/master/themes/adminClassic/editfaq.tpl

Try those and see if it helps and let us know if it worked or not. This may be a javascript issue but, we will try these first. I did test the two different themes out and they both worked for me.

The modern admin theme could use some better coding on the tables on this page:
    adminModern/faqs.tpl

I changed line 6 from 75% to 50%. That is not the correct way to to make those table widths. Bootstrap is supposed to be flexible and fit on whatever device we use. The old code goes off my screen for those checkboxes. This probably should be put into a container or something. The percentage shouldn't even be there. I am just doing that to make a temporary fix. I will look at it later. I prefer using the classic theme for the admin panel.

nay27uk likes this.