No Registration Page

Discussion in 'General Support' started by Paul Stewart, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Paul Stewart

Paul Stewart New Member

Hello Everyone, Hoping someone can help.

I have installed the latest version 1.2.1, when clicking "Register Now" it brings up a blank page I have tried reinstalling the script and it has no affect.

Users can be manually added.

Any Solutions ?

Thanks

2. nay27uk

nay27uk Super Moderator Staff Member

Make sure via FTP that both of the 2 following files have been uploaded and it depending on what theme you chose in admin.

themes/classic/register.tpl
    and
    themes/modern/register.tpl

A blank page usualy means the tpl file for that page was not uploaded.

3. Paul Stewart

Paul Stewart New Member

Hi Nay27uk, I have checked both themes, both folders have a register.tpl

4. nay27uk

Log In to your WeBid admin and at the top click on tools you should see an error log shown.

Past the content of that here

5. Paul Stewart

Paul Stewart New Member

Error log is empty

6. Renzov

Renzov Member

I have exact the same issue, installed the latest version and follow the install instructions. all is working fine except users cannot register.
    Both template register.tpl are available within the correct directoty.
    In Firefox my page is blank and in MS Edge I got an 500 erro telling me that this page could not be found.

7. nay27uk

open register.php and at the bottom see if you see this line

PHP:
    $template->set_filenames(array(

'body' => 'register.tpl'

));
    if the above code is there in register.php next go into phpmyadmin and enter your WeBid database and click on the webid_settings table, settings table of your WeBid database and look for theme and see what is listed if it says modern change it to classic and see if the register page works.

Also what are you getting in your browser address bar when clicking on register button what URL is loading?

Also take a look at this thread HERE

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  8. Renzov

Renzov Member

the above code is in and even if I make any changes to the theme (at website/admin or database) it would not work.

Just the link kept viewed in my browser address bar : ........shop/register.php and nothing else

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  9. Paul Stewart

Paul Stewart New Member

I have the above code on the register.php. Tried changing from modern to classic still wont load.

the URL is domain name with /register.php

10. Renzov

Renzov Member

Just walked throught the bug tracker and came across issue: 0000563: Registration Errors on WeBid 1.2 Registration page not Working.
    Now there is one person (idahomst) saying he/she also had that same issue and did the following;

Same problem. I have PHP 5.4.45-0+deb7u3. What hepled to me was: in register.php changing line 207 from: if (empty($system->filter($_POST['TPL_nick']))) to: if ($system->filter($_POST['TPL_nick']) === '')
    (beside I have wordsfilter turned off in the settings)

And this is exactly what helped to solve this issua at my site too.
    Thanks idahomst :)

11. Paul Stewart

Paul Stewart New Member

Finally got it to work, I changed it to if ($system->filter($_POST['TPL_nick'])) Thanks for the help guys :D

12. david62311

david62311 Well-Known Member

I don't understand what would be causing that problem on your side. I am trying to recreate the issue. The snippet of code goes like this.

Here's the snippet of code:
    PHP:
    if ($system->SETTINGS['wordsfilter'] == 'y')
        {
            if (empty(
    $system->filter($_POST['TPL_nick'])))
            {

$ERR $MSG['wordfilter_banned_username']; // User name altered by word filter

}
        }
    I went into my admin>tools>word filter section and I had a few dirty words added and the filter was on. My register page popped up both in classic and modern theme.
    I tried to turn it off with words in the words filter and checked the register page and it still worked.
    I removed the dirty words and had it off still and I still could access the register page.
    Then I turned it on with no words added and still could access the register.

I am just trying to understand why removing empty( and the one of the last parenthesis ) would fix the issue. It's obvious there is something wrong with the empty on your side. It works fine on my side. Are there an errors reported for it in the admin control panel?

13. Renzov

Renzov Member

I did some extra tests and somehow this line is just not working for me (and reading the forum for more people):
    (empty($system->filter($_POST['TPL_nick']))) , however changing it to the following: if ($system->filter($_POST['TPL_nick']) === '') then it works........and I can confirm that it does not matter if I turn off/on the wordfilter and adding words to it as that piece is working fine.

14. david62311

As long as you got it working then that's good. I still want to find out why mine works so, we can fix it on Github if we got to. It might have an updated fix for it.

15. david62311

Oh well, I should just let this go but, I do want to understand why that fixed the issue for you all. I will look at it later. I thought it was the if statement because it looks like there is an if statement within an if statement.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  16. hhavatar

hhavatar Donor Donor

David, there was a similar issue encountered when I moved server a while ago. It was the sql connection. Wrong admin permissions in config. I realise that's not the fix detailed here but a complete blank would indicate a total database connection issue.

17. david62311

I believe you when you say if the database connection is not right that it can show a blank page.

What is the purpose of the words filter if it doesn't seem to work right? I signed up a user with two words I had in my enabled wordsfilter and it allowed the user to register with those two curse words with no problem.

18. shariff

shariff New Member

One way to check for error (and debug) in the script with current php version, execute the script from cli e.g : php register.php. mine was;
    [root@medrent WeBid]# php register.php
    PHP Fatal error: Can't use method return value in write context in /var/www/html/WeBid/register.php on line 217

if you're running php 5.4 or lower that might be the reason. Code in line 217 : if (empty($system->filter($_POST['TPL_nick'])))

what I read from stackoverflow forum "empty() needs to access the value by reference (in order to check whether that reference points to something that exists), and PHP before 5.5 didn't support references to temporary values returned from functions". you may google it for more detailed explanation.

replacing line 217 with following line should solve the problem;
    if (!$system->filter($_POST['TPL_nick']))

this may not be the case if you're running php 5.5 or newer

19. Deb

Deb New Member

I just installed 1.2.2 and am having the same problem. My php version is 7.2, although I can change it if that is the problem. Once you hit submit on the registration page, it stays blank forever. If you try to login using the information submitted on the registration page, you are unable to do so. No such lines as the ones mentioned above are in the register.php file, so I assume those refer to an earlier version of the software. Help please!

20. geoffrey foggon

geoffrey foggon New Member

i had the same error when installing the script for the first time. i opened the register.php and on line 217 added // to the beginning of the line and users can now sign up. Its not a complete fix but on a sandboxed script i will try the other options and see if they fix the issue.