New WeBid site: goods-4-sale.com

Discussion in 'Showcase' started by pani100, Jun 3, 2011.

1. jjjason84

jjjason84 Donor Donor

Nice work on your website pani looks very nice.

Only thing problem there is it takes a long time to load some pages.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  2. pani100

pani100 Well-Known Member

Thanks jjjason84, as you know its a never ending battle.

3. nay27uk

nay27uk Super Moderator Staff Member

Pani the slow page loads will be down to all the Java Script add-ons on the site, it loads reasonable here but still slower than most.

Lots of Java Script is well known for causing slow page loads, some reading points out that to much of it is a bad thing and that Java Script if used at all on a page should be kept to a minimum.

I know from past experience of using it and having pages take to long to load in the end I googled the terms

JavaScript causing slow page loads
    JavaScript slow page loads
    Slow page loads with JavaScript
    Pages with JavaScript are loading to slow

It makes some interesting reading

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  4. pani100

Hi nay27uk, you are right.
    Over time I have managed to add a hell of a lot of java scripts in there and it has become bloated. It is a big mess. Don't even want to talk about the folders that have been left behind on a 'will look at this later' and never doing it. I have been experimenting and learning this way but my problem is most of the times I just leave so much rubbish behind.
    Ideally it would be best to spend a month or 2, starting from scratch and using only a few selected parts, and I am dreading it.
    Another problem is I have had to get all these working together so it will be a nightmare trying to remove a lot. Example the drop-down javascript. It has it's own callbacks and they have been used throughout the site. It will be a major job just to remove that as a lot of files will need re configuring. And the tooltips! Don't get me started on that. I really need to sit down and strip it down to the core files and only use a selection of usefull scripts.
    I have settled with a theme plan now and am happy with the layouts and the script, once browse pages have been modified, i will spend a lot of time clearing out a lot of mess.
    Oh ye, the index page is fully loaded with a lot of modules and I know they do slow down the site a lot if too many are active too. I have also been trying a few category mods with about 4 or 5 present on a few pages alone. I just can't work out which 1 or 2 dropdown methods to keep.
    Here I go again...:D

I have had a little clear out on the index page modules Have a go and see if it is any faster now.
    Most modules are on display here for now

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  5. DrJ

DrJ Active Member

I realize that I'm probably half way around the world from your server but I just get an error message.

goods.jpg

6. pani100

Hi DrJ, i am having some issues with the host I believe. Sometimes, randomly it sort of freezes for a few minutes with me not doing anything but browsing.
    I have attached a picture of the control panel to see if anybody here can point me to some direction.
    I just hope it's not my fault, stressing the server.
    server load.jpg
    http://pics2.test1.auto-door-parts.com/webid/server_load.png

7. pani100

Process of removing leftovers and unnecessary scripts has begun, the difference is very noticeable.
    I think it has reduced page loading speeds a fair bit.
    Finished breadcrumb system which thought I would never be able to add into system.
    Have also just finished redesigning and trying to blending adsearch with browse for a smooth user swap over.
    The code is all over the place at the moment but it is all working error free.
    It looks like now only a few minor issues remain and getting closer to finishing a very long project. :)

8. nay27uk

Like it pani.

What theme you using now? that's not the 123 / bright theme you used to have mate.

Looks nice the new theme

9. pani100

Thanks nay27uk, 123 theme has gone and implemented a new theme with removing the majority of tables where not necessary. Not easy as you know but i would say 98% done with only a few pages left (if I can find them!)

10. nay27uk

Nice work mate looks awesome

11. pani100

Thanks nay27uk, hope you are taking it easy.
    Been trying some new things (as always) and have found myself going around in circles just to add or rectify minor issues but will get there one day. Have trimmed a lot of excess java/jquery out of it as you said and seems a lot more faster now too. Still getting a 500 internal server error though every now and then, which i don't know how to investigate yet. seems like it is trying to load the page but the server is not responding or if it does it has taken something like 16 seconds to do so. Could be a very early mod that is causing it as it has done it i think for a long time. Maybe database clear-out next, removing all tables not used.

12. pani100

Auction creation and image upload [video=youtube;DNlT0A93s38]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNlT0A93s38[/video]

13. furnic

furnic Donor Donor

How do I add extra content pages like you have, such as the anti spam page etc?

14. pani100

I am sure I have given a guide somewhere in the threads but I can't find it at the moment. The nearest I can find is this. That should be a good start though understanding how the information pages work.

15. terryw

terryw New Member

The site looks GREAT wish I had the understanding of php to do something as professional looking as your site

16. jjjason84

jjjason84 Donor Donor

I think most of us wish we can understand php, jquery as good as pani100 but he did a lot of work on his webid and looks awesome.

17. furnic

furnic Donor Donor

Just ask lots of stuff. One or two mods might lose patience if you are as clueless as I am, but you will eventually get the results you want with a bit of help here and there.

18. pani100

Hi all, thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate it. When I first started with webid, I did not know what a database query was, and as for php and css it was all a completely different language. What I did was sit down and read a lot, look at the script and try to understand each step, what it did and why. Take it a step at a time, it will take time, and also try to experiment. That is the biggest teacher as it forces you to go back and see what the mistakes where if it does not work.
    You will need to put in a lot of hard work, determination and patience (ok a lot of that). Just by looking around here you can see it works really well (have a look at jjjason84's work, and a lot of other guys not with us any more ). If you are willing to put in the hours, it does pay. At some point it will all click together and at that point you will be able to reap your rewards of all your hard work. In the meantime we are here to help as much as we can ;)

19. Appl Pglng

Appl Pglng Member Donor

I am now officially in envy of your beautiful and heavily modded site. I will scour all your post today and hope to God youre sharing even just a teeny weensy of your implementation.

Good day!

20. pani100

Progress Update on new information pages using full CKeditor and image manager.
    Not fully integrated on the front end yet. Last few months have not had enough time to spend developing.

[video=youtube_share;oUAKKGyvwvw]http://youtu.be/oUAKKGyvwvw[/video]