New WeBid site: goods-4-sale.com

Discussion in 'Showcase' started by pani100, Jun 3, 2011.

1. freebids

freebids New Member

hi love your site, how did you get shop feature on to your site? i really want shop section 2
    thank you

2. pani100

pani100 Well-Known Member

shops

Hello freebids,
    Thanks.
    I have just started looking into doing the shops. I am just testing different things and also looking into of how they should/could work.
    I am waiting for the avatar mod from nay27uk and from there might be able to progress it further with shop users putting their company logos in.
    There are a lot of things to be done to get it up and running correctly.
    Another thing would be extra text fields for the shops to have more info, deals etc.
    Then if it is a shop it needs to calculate taxes...
    If you want to attract business users we have to figure out a bulk up-loader too.
    A lot of work but have to start from somewhere to get it going.

mikizone and freebids like this.
  3. forforce

forforce New Member

Whell , I don`t know how u do it but it`s working perfectly , thanks a million! . p.s I think your site ( Goods-4-Sale.com ) is looking awesome but in my opinion it`s a little bit too reach in details and colors.... whell, that`s my point of view but it`s still awesome. Only one thig i found wrong... when I select white theme, the header menu goes crazy, it`s not showing as it should... firefox browser(I`m tal.king about ur website :) )

4. pani100

Thanks. Agree with you totally. The default is the one I am working on all the time and all the others are on the back burner, just need to update all the other themes with changes made but haven't had the time as the default yellow is changing nearly every day.
    As for too rich its only because I try everything on it and its build up quite a few extras . They get tested and if they don't perform under pressure they get re-worked or go in the waste bin;). Look at it as a testing rig. If they make the mark they stay until one day I have a good clear out of what to keep. Still got a few hundred things to test so it will only get worse before it gets better.

5. minione

minione New Member

Hi, Pani100,
    your site is really great. But the layout of the header has problem in my FF browser,23 inch monitor.
    Are you using the webid version 1.04 or version 1.03?

6. pani100

Hi minione,
    Thanks. What problems do you see? One thing that it might be is the themes. Could you make sure you select yellow theme (default) and also Ctrl + F5 to clear cache and cookies and then see if it still is a problem? All other themes have not been updated for a few months and would not have the new header css yet.
    I am stuck on 1.02 version with all latest updates.

7. minione

minione New Member

yeah, I changed the theme to the red one . it is ok now with the yellow default.

8. pani100

thanks minione, one less thing to worry about.

9. darkblackeye

darkblackeye New Member

Hey, I just visited your site - look realy good. Got no complaiments to the design itself, but you still got massiv work in the technical section...

CSS:

• 75% of CSS are extern - wich is good, but 100% would be better ;)
    • Some CSS Troubles on IE9 for me...

Code:

• 1188 Spaghetti-Code Elements - 541 are Styles. Not really a problem, just annoying if anyone edits the code. But I'm using them as well -.-

Perfomance:
    • The page is with 2644.52 Kilobytes really big. You should gzip your css and js files if you havn't done so far. Made it on my webid, and got the css&js size down to 10-20% of original size. (don't know the code I used right now, if interested I'll look for it at home ;) )
    • I'm right now in the office and got a slow pc here. The page 'lags' if you scroll down. Don't know, if this is any special script, the css errors or the page site at all. You should work on this. A tablet e.g. might not get along with the performance
    • You got 216 Requests wich might be the biggest trouble. try to lower it by merging your css and js files, if possible.. even with the good serverspeed it's just too much

SEO:
    • Think about adding alt and titles tags on the main page. The featured images, etc, can be easlily autogenerated by using the item's subtitle or title.

Hopefully I could help a bit ;)
    greetz, dbe

10. pani100

darkblackeye,
    Thanks for that. At the moment I have fully loaded the main page with a lot of mods + my css skills are not to be admired for too. That does need a lot of work as most of the times for a quick solution I have done inline css (what on top of all the other css loading?...hhh...gulp yes). Once I get the php script to a certain point which I am happy with to go live, a re-design will follow removing all the unnecessary bloat.

11. megatron

megatron New Member

12. redrider

redrider Donor Donor

Nice job. Very nice job. You inspire me to not give up trying. Thanks.

13. hwmf

hwmf New Member

Nicely done ! Did you edit the default theme yourself to this result or did you buy it somewhere? Amazing work!

14. pani100

hwmf, I started off with the 123 theme.

15. nay27uk

nay27uk Super Moderator Staff Member

Also known in the downloads as Bright Theme

16. pani100

Now theme has been swallowed away. New theme redesign in progress and a lot of changes.
    I have set up user choice width settings instead of various themes for users to choose.
    Have a play and see which width you would prefer to use or maybe I could leave the choice permanatly there.
    As usual have filled up the home page with a few modules (can't help it).;)

17. CBG

CBG New Member

Hi,

Just found WeBid today (24/07/2013), as I am looking to do a project that requires a bid script, like WeBid.

I have to say your site design looks great.
    Did you base your theme on anything that available on the site, or is it a custom design?

I hope I can come up with something as nice, for my site.
    Still playing around with the script, before I look at any design.

18. samredarmy

samredarmy New Member

Outlook is superb. Soft & Flexible one! Enjoying this.

19. pani100

Hi CBG, well is was based on bright yellow theme but it has changed over time to its own theme. I know it takes time to get to where you want but sometimes its the journey that is more important. I must admit webid has helped me learn a lot of things. For starters, PHP and database queries. But the journey is not over yet as there are so many new things to learn every day.
    Concentrate on getting it working to a level you are happy with and then design will come with that. Wish you all the best

20. pani100

Slow Progress Report:
    Right have now completed a few more major modifications as I need to get this live sooner rather than later.
    -Have created a module system to add various modules on any page (left, right, top, bottom, etc), with around 40 modules available at any time to enable. Page can get very slow if all added at once, as expected.
    -Transformed user control panel to a more user friendly layout and design with a lot of php changes.
    -Completed categories drill down up to six levels deep which enabled the creation of a few nice dropdowns and flyouts for the categories (all 3 variations can be seen in home page).
    -A few extra pages added for more content, including a full category list
    -A new image download system for sell page that reduces size on the fly
    -An image tagging system

I am trying a breadcrumb system at the moment but I might have to hit that on the head as it gets really complicated with the new module system.

Still quite a few things left to do really:
    -Sort out new design for browse page,
    -Finish off an attribute system with the option to add extras to buy now items reflecting the additional costs (if any) on the final price.
    -Try and see if we can close a multi item buy now auction correctly.
    -Possibly a new header/menu to try and fit everything in there as the one now is just a big mess

I am still on older 1.03 version with a few updates added, but getting a bit tired now