New WeBid site: goods-4-sale.com

Discussion in 'Showcase' started by pani100, Jun 3, 2011.

1. pani100

pani100 Well-Known Member

Just finished setting up and moving our new site.

Have a play on: http://www.goods-4-sale.com

We stumbled upon WeBid a few months ago and what a surprise that turned out to be.
    Many thanks to WeBid and everyone for their hard work.
    We will be testing and tweaking it for the next few weeks and any ideas/thoughts are more than welcome as we are new to this.
    Thanx!:)

Acden likes this.
  2. damnsharp

damnsharp New Member

Looks nice! I like the gray/yellow rounded corner bars with the text in it (home/registration + search).
    Funny, the exploding flash animation.
    May I ask, what template did you use? Allways curious about it. I am using the template from dahlsvarehus and am pleased with it.

3. pani100

Hi damnsharp,
    using the Bright theme with a lot of modifications and updates (as much as our limited knowledge allowed us).

4. laura458

laura458 New Member

Wonderful looking! You did great!

5. dragonflai

dragonflai Active Member

very nice... compliment... :)
    if you want try to set the title characters limit. so your image and space are always correct ;-)

6. pani100

Thanks for all your comments.
    dragonflai - Will have a look at that as soon as I clear a few bugs...

laura458 - A fair few of your inputs in there.

7. laura458

laura458 New Member

I really don't know what you mean, but I am very impressed with what you did on your site. Actually, it looks very inviting and makes a person want to look around at the items. I really can't explain it other than it "POPS" out with very pleasing looks :)

8. Acden

Acden New Member

Nice!

Good example of ebay-like design.

Let's discuss about fixed width of your site. I think it is good. But eBay is not fixed-size. Just tried – it has liquid width with max-width.

How do you think your site looks like on 24 inch Monitor?

9. dragonflai

dragonflai Active Member

pani .. when you want i'm here on skype or by mail...
    the site

@acden.. do you never seen ebay.com. Style is different, function are different.. and many other this are not included in ebay... sorry for my question .. but : are you drunked tonight ;-)
    because ebay is very diifferent.. and www.goods-4-sale.com is very original ....

10. pani100

Hi everyone,
    Thanks again.
    Acden - I have a 24 and a 19 inch monitor right next to each other. I sort of like the fixed width as in my opinion looks better for smaller screens. Its just down to personal opinions and likes. Once all bugs resolved I could look into it and try it. (another learning curve...)
    To be honest I tend to use the 19 inch more as I'm not being funny but dragging the mouse down to the other end seems less of an effort and time especially when testing things out.

11. laura458

laura458 New Member

I have a 24 inch monitor and your site looks just fine in it. I tried on my laptop as well and still looks good. One can never make a site do it all to please everyone. A lot of folks will have particular settings (I have fonts set a little larger to see with) and some people will view sites and turn off the graphics for load time.

12. Acden

Acden New Member

I have read an article that told that site-builders should make fixed sizes. Any site should looks like the same - so the same width of blocks etc.

And now I'm in doubt about big background area on big monitors. It is not so nice.

But when I started with webid, I changed theme to fixed size, automatically :) then I noticed that I changed several templates to fixed size. And asked myself question –*is it really resonable, or it was better to leave it change with JavaScript (which way I don't like).

hope, you understood my english :)

13. pani100

Hi,
    I Have just added location of auction items in the auction lists which you can read about here
    Site is nearly ready. Hope by the end of this month to go live. Trying to identify and solve bugs at the moment.
    Have a browse : goods-4-sale.com

14. laura458

laura458 New Member

Wow! Looking REALLY cool! The add on for displaying the location, turned out GREAT!

15. Looks great I just launched a similar site but I am having trouble with auction images showing on the home page. Could you give me some sugestions on how to fix this, please. I have been thru the forum and nothing is helping. thanx in advance

16. pani100

Thanks James,
    You could try this-> Strange picture upload.
    What WeBid version have you got?
    No picture has been selected as a thumbnail. When you upload the first image or to set one as the default you will need to create a thumbnail for it. Make sure the default box next to the delete button has been selected. With the above fix you should be able to save the complete image without cropping it to use as a thunmnail

17. Box Lot

Box Lot Super Moderator Staff Member Developer

You might still get help but it is best to post something like this either in it's own thread or a thread already established on the same issue.

This thread is in the Showcase Forum and you should post something like this in the General Support Forum.

In this case I think you should elaborate on what exactly the issue is. Do they show up at all or is there some other issue, etc.. Usually the more details the better and worst case they speed up the time involved in resolving the issue since people don't have to ask too many follow-up questions to narrow the issue down.

Also search extensively with different combinations of keywords first before postings issues. I know there are a number of threads about images issues that may help.

18. pani100

Hi Laura458,
    Thanks for that. Location on auctions has worked out pretty well after a lot of hard work.
    You mentioned something in the past : "POPS" out with very pleasing looks" well I have something else now that will make your head spin this time.. open (carousel) with caution ! You have been warned...

19. tjt

tjt New Member

Love your goods-4-sale design, that represents a TON of work. Can give me any tips on how to design my site with that look, I love it...

20. webidpro

webidpro New Member

how did that search in top when you click it pulls down with all this cool function :)