Hourly registration attempts exceeded!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by david62311, Jul 26, 2017.

1. david62311

david62311 Well-Known Member

I was toying around with the register.php page coding and tried to register a new user after I adjusted the code. My code did not work. When I registered my new user, I got the confirmation email and clicked it and got invalid user and this was caused from the code I just added. It would shown asked me to confirm or reject it.

capture-20170726-115722.png

Even though I got an email to confirm my user that message came up. I looked in my Webid Admin panel at the users and there's no new users added. I thought I could just let my admin activate it instead but, the new user is not listed. I checked the main database too and there's no new users added.

So, I think I figured out the code I needed to add to the register.php page to fix the issue and I added the code and tried to register my user again. This time I got this message below:

Hourly registration attempts exceeded!
    Press your back button and try something else.

I don't see this message in the messages.inc.php file and when I search for exceeded in Github, it doesn't show it so, I am guessing the message is inserted in the database somewhere. Where could that message be? I can't register another user at the moment and will probably have to wait an hour but, I don't want to wait an hour. I like the feature to keep bots out but, is there a way to clear this out so, I don't have to wait an hour. I tried to register another user again and the same message came up. I assume it's looking at my IP which doesn't really help when it comes to bots because the bots rotate their IPs out rapidly and they rarely try to use the same IP over. If we could get the Bot Device's Real IP to display and ban them permanently then that would be awesome!

If somebody can help by telling me how to bypass that hourly wait then I would really appreciate it! If you want to just PM me if you think it's a security risk then please do so! Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  2. pani100

pani100 Well-Known Member

Looks like you have ZBlock spambot security.
    Have a look in: zbblock.ini
    just under line: default: hourly_reg = 8

3. david62311

david62311 Well-Known Member

@pani100 How did you figure my ZB Block mostly likely could cause that? I thought you were going to ease back into coding for Webid. It's seems like you are sharper than ever!

Here's what I have there:

Code:
    ; *** Registration/Confirmation Pageloads Per Hour
    ;
    ; This throttle allows only X many registration attempts, and confirmation
    ; attempts per hour.
    ;
    ; values: pageloads
    ;         "0" = Turn off limiter
    ;         "1" = Turn off registration/confirmation
    ;         "6" = Best for phpBB and its derivatives
    ;         "8" = Good for boards that use one file for all reg operations.
    ;         "15" = Bots sometimes give up by now.
    ;
    ; default: hourly_reg = 8

hourly_reg = 8
    If I see that hourly message thing again then I try to set it to "0" and see if it fixes the problem. This will probably happen very soon that I will get to test it out. Thanks for the info on this! I don't know how you found it.

4. pani100

pani100 Well-Known Member

I thought I forgot everything but it it is still there, just a bit rusty.
    Glad to help david62311.