Hacking and downtime

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by renlok, Jul 16, 2017.

1. renlok

renlok Administrator Staff Member

Hey all,

Just got the site back up, we were hacked a few weeks ago and due to some personal problems I've been super slow at getting it sorted out and back online. So I want to apologise for that. I also cleaned up the forum, rearranged it and hopefully bolstered the anti-spam protections a bit more.

Some notes:
    - As part of the cleanup of the damaged files the old document wiki is now completely gone, it was out of date and no longer used.
    - The international support forums have been closed. Due to both lack of use and lack of people able to moderate foreign langue subs.
    - The mod archive is now a subforum of Archive if you are looking for something in there

The future of WeBid:
    WeBid is used by loads of people with a huge variety of needs and requirements, which is awesome but the problem is you cannot please everyone. One thing WeBid has always lacked is a decent modding system, similar to CMS packages like drupal or joomla and forum packages. At the moment WeBid is a chore to mod as each update will involve you manually replacing each mod by hand. I want it to be as easy as uploading some files and running a script to mod WeBid.
    So for now version WeBid 1.x will be feature locked and will only be updated with bug fixes, and any new features will be added to WeBid 2.x (found at https://github.com/renlok/WeBid/tree/dev) currently I am just in the process of reorganising the file structure and how everything is loaded

Chris

2. super_st

super_st Well-Known Member

Sounds good, and glad we are back online ;)

I_know_Jack and bgrantland like this.
  3. BabyDunk

BabyDunk Active Member

Top Job and Thanks for your hard work.

I look forward to version 2 ;)

I_know_Jack likes this.
  4. david62311

david62311 Well-Known Member

WOW! Hooray the Forum is back! I truly thought you all abandon ship! I thought the bots posting like crazy got the better of you guys. I just happen to go to Github tonight here and noticed the link to the forum. I've tried to come back here so many times only to see a 403 error page that that was what I was expecting. I'm truly surprised and happy to see the forum back up and running.

About the Translations, I had started to help with the foreign Language but, then the Language file got shrunk after I did a few. It was just too much work to translate everything. I found the Bing Translator plug-in works pretty well on my site but, of course it wouldn't translate emails. It only translated what was on the site.

5. BabyDunk

BabyDunk Active Member

@renlok have all the memberships been cancelled? i know paypal is still taking the money but i don't have the privileges i had previously before the hack

6. NozlafAu

NozlafAu Active Member

good to see you got it back online

7. skyhigh

skyhigh Member

welcome back tot u packed up n moved to the mountains in tibet;)

8. Box Lot

Box Lot Super Moderator Staff Member Developer

Back. Sounds like a plan.

bgrantland likes this.
  9. jorgepzp

jorgepzp Member

hello and thx for bringing back webid!!

10. pani100

pani100 Well-Known Member

Hi all, good to see the WeBid forum back.
    Tried to take a look at flatawsome to see what we can do for the spammers only to find it is not free. :(

11. mirecart

mirecart New Member

I'm only a new user to webid, but fell in, love with it straightaway. So glad to see the forums back online as I'm got a few hundred questions to go over with everyone.

12. nay27uk

nay27uk Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice to see the forum back Ren.

If you get stuck on the mod installer thing take a look at how SMF the free Forum software have implemented theirs, it is one of the best I have ever come across and uses XML files in the mods to search for, Replace, Alter code etc in core files and theme files.

Here are 2 other useful links to their mod procedures that may help you understand how a mod is constructed.

XML MAKEUP
    FORUM THREAD FOR MODDERS

I have in the past written mods for SMF and as a mod writer once you get used to the structure of the XML file it is a doddle to write mods for SMF, and even more of a doddle for an end user to install, 2 or 3 button presses and a mod is installed.

I am sure you could dissect it and implement it into WeBid

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    bgrantland likes this.
  13. royv

royv New Member

When you try to pay the item you won clicked button and this appear :Things don't appear to be working at the moment. Please try again later. If y click add to balance and after paynow working correct but the pay now button link is :
    in add to balance: http://www.drpcsolution.com/deals/pay.php?a=1 (working perfect)
    in pay now : http://www.drpcsolution.com/deals/pay.php?a=2 (not working said
    Things don't appear to be working at the moment. Please try again later.)

Many people has that problem with this software and there is not answer in all forum about......
    someone know how fix this?

14. bgrantland

bgrantland Donor Donor

Hey Renlok! I'm sorry you had some personal problems but glad that you got the forum back up. And I'm glad that the regular crew that I remembered is back. WeBid is a huge undertaking. I admire you for sticking to it, after all the hacking.

nay27uk likes this.
  15. bgrantland

bgrantland Donor Donor

I'm so glad to hear that you are planning on redesigning the mods this way. I have been checking out WooCommerce and WordPress, and I really like the ease of modifications.

WeBid has tough competition. WordPress based programs are years ahead in terms of the number and variety of easily installed themes and plugins - many of them free or available for a few dollars. I still prefer WeBid because of the look and feel of the customer interface, and the wonderful people who contribute to the project and participate in this forum.

16. renlok

renlok Administrator Staff Member

haha yeah but WooCommerce and WordPress have the advantage of having millions of users and probably thousands of contributors. But I'm sure we can get there one day.

mirecart, nay27uk and BabyDunk like this.
  17. mirecart

mirecart New Member

Have you thought about putting a webid WP plugin together which would at least give WP site an auction plugin. Maybe just to load their own auctions instead of offering others to list on their site. That way you would generate both revenue and awareness. Just a thought.

I_know_Jack likes this.
  18. nay27uk

There are already several WP auction plugins that turn WP in to a full blown auction site

19. mirecart

mirecart New Member

I agree, I've used most of them, but they all require you to use their theme / child theme which defeats the purpose of installing it into your own current sites. Also a WeBid plugin built well, could allow current webid sellers to embed their auction into their other sites. Just thinking out loud, I'm not able to build a plugin as yet, but working on it.

I_know_Jack likes this.
  20. nay27uk

Yeah that's why I have not used any as yet because of the forced theme you can't change, I think it is done that way because in essence it is a full rewrite of the workings and layout of the frontend of WP.
    Defo a good idea though

I_know_Jack and mirecart like this.