Facebook sale groups

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by david62311, Dec 23, 2015.

1. david62311

david62311 Well-Known Member

Today, I saw a pop up on my Facebook page directing my attention to a new tab called sale groups. I knew there was sale sites floating around Facebook like this and already was upset with it. Now Facebook adds a tab to make it easy for Facebook users to see them. My thoughts on this: I hate them. The people who start these groups don't have to know hardly any coding. They don't have to update or fix things. They do have to moderate it. There's no money in it for them to run a sale group. The people making the money is Facebook when they put their ads on the these sale group sites. If you asks me, this stinks because it hurts us. We've work our butts off on the Webid script and then these Facebook sale groups stated to pop up and the admins don't even have to continue to keep it's security up because Facebook does it for them.

Does anybody else have any thoughts on the Facebook sale groups?

2. nay27uk

nay27uk Super Moderator Staff Member

Dont get too disgruntled about it david I had the same ideas when I first seen them as they do get used a lot, I have even joined about 6 of them and advertised stuff for sale on them but bear this in mind a Group kind of thing on a social network has not got all of the whistles and bells of a dedicated auction platform so a lot of users will still use and may always use auction sites.

The facebook sales pages are just in the same league as a Forum with a For Sale Board or the same league as FreeCycle for example, no seller control and no buyer control whatsoever and even not a great deal of Admin Control where as on an dedicated Auction Platform they get all that control.

The only advantage that these groups on facebook and FreeCycle have over the auction sites is that it is free for anyone to post something for sale.

Let's face the facts here, these groups are showing up on facebook because people are turning their backs on eBay due to eBay being all about money, eBay charge you fees and then PayPal charge you fees so it is not worth selling on ebay any longer as there is a very narrow margin to be made for earnings so people are turning to Groups, Forums and Classifieds sites to sell their stuff.

I strongly believe that if an auction site can offer the same features and more that eBay do and the fees are less than half of what eBay charge or even FREE then people will still use an auction site over a free group or other free site.

When I sell stuff now I always use the Groups on Facebook as well as GumTree for the simple reason being that they are free so I earn more money plus things sell a lot faster and easier on GumTree than they do on ebay.
    eBay unfortunately has become all about them making as much as they can from you selling your stuff and it's members getting into Bidding Wars, everyone wants to pay as little money as they can for your item so leave starting the bidding until about 5 mins before the auction ends then a bidding war ensues and 9 out of 10 times you will get outbid in the last millisecond of the auction, people have had it with eBay hence the Groups and stuff popping up.

I think that eBay should make it so that no bids can be placed when an auction reaches 5 mins left to run (This would also be a great mod for WeBid) this would stop a lot of the bidding wars and any bid spoofing software that is currently downloadable to win bidding wars on Ebay would no longer work.

To sum up.
    You have eBay and its greed for money combined with the greed of it's members to blame for other forms of selling cropping up like on Facebook.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
    david62311 likes this.
  3. nodnarbrox

nodnarbrox New Member

Why not make free local pickup mod on your webid site,. Then advertise on facebook groups at 3pm, 5pm, 8pm, 10pm post laptop, tablet, or cell phone up for bids starting at $0.99 with a link to your webid site. Mention Local Pickup available and security of PayPal or what ever you use for payments. Watch your webid traffic increase instantly. I'd do the free pickup mod but I don't know how to edit sql databases.

4. nay27uk

There is already that option in WeBid when you post the auction. Halfway down the sell page you will see

Shipping conditions
    Buyer pays shipping expenses
    Seller pays shipping expenses
    Pick up only

Notice the above option I made bold just select it when posting the auction and leave the postage cost boxes blank or as 0.00, no need for any mod

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    david62311 and nodnarbrox like this.
  5. david62311

@nay27uk is the Pick up only on the 1.1.1 version or just the new version? If it's not on the 1.1.1 version is there anyway to add that feature to it?

6. nay27uk

Well i'm making my theme in 1.1.2P2 then just updating it when the new version comes out so it's in 1.1.2P2 hence me pointing it out above and I think it's been there ever since I started using WeBid years ago in 2008 or 2009 at WeBid version 0.8.1 so yeah it should be in 1.1.1

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
    david62311 likes this.
  7. david62311

@nay27uk thanks for the reply. I've been using Webid since 1.1.0 and with Bootstrap too. I wouldn't of known that feature was there unless you mention so thanks for mentioning it! I see what the problem is with mine. It's missing in my bootstrap theme but, the Pickup only is showing in the default theme. I'm using the old Bootstrap theme.

It's showing here in the default theme.
    default pickup.png

It's not showing in my old bootstrap theme page.
    bootstrap pickup.png

I saw in the github they had it showing in the modern theme but, with <br> on every other line. https://github.com/renlok/WeBid/blob/01460eb34abeba08c009cf7b8a23284a3ee94350/themes/modern/sell.tpl Don't quote me on this but, I don't think they use <br> much in the bootstrap language. The coding showing on the github page looks sloppy. It's all in the center of the page. Maybe it's just like in the Github page. I used my code in my old bootstrap and just added that one part for pickup only but, I wanted to see what it looked like using the code from the github. There's spaces there. Maybe that is good for using thumbs on a smartphone.
    bootstrap with breaks.png

My code for mine now looks like this below. The {L_867} is for the pick up only.
    HTML:
    <div class="control-group">
          <label class="control-label">{L_025}</label>
          <div class="controls">
            <label class="radio ">
            <input type="radio" name="shipping" id="bps" value="1" {SHIPPING1}>
            {L_031}</label>
            <label class="radio ">
            <input type="radio" name="shipping" id="sps" value="2" {SHIPPING2}>
            {L_032}</label>
            <label class="radio ">
            <input type="radio" name="shipping" id="sps" value="3" {SHIPPING3}>
            {L_867}</label>
            <label class="checkbox ">
            <input type="checkbox" name="international" value="1" {INTERNATIONAL}>
            {L_033}</label>
          </div>
        </div>
    The page now looks like this:
    pickuponly bootstrap update.png

Now I got it on my page! :)

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
    nay27uk likes this.
  8. nay27uk

@david62311
    I'm glad you got it back on your page.

You may already know all this anyway but I will try and explain what the BR is for, the <br> just means line break and is almost the same as using a <p> tag or hitting enter on the keyboard but usually a <p> tag has a larger line spacing than a <br>

<p> Stands for Paragraph and is the same as hitting Enter on a keyboard (usually like a two line gap)
    <br> Stands for Line Break (usually only a one line gap)

so if in the bellow 4 lines I used a P and then a BR as demonstration.

This is the first line of a paragraph if I enter a <p> here

My next paragraph line will be here.

This is the first line of a Line Break if I add a <br> here
    my next Line Break line will be here.

Both P and BR tags can be styled with things like line spacing, margin-top, margin-bottom etc so in your first picture I am presuming that the BR element has been styled in the CSS with a rather large line spacing or has a margin-top or margin-bottom assigned to it or they have inserted a double BR <br><br> using a double <br> will give the same efect as using a single <p></p>.

so using

Seller pays shipping expenses <br><br>
    Pick up only<br><br>

would give the same effect as using

<p>Seller pays shipping expenses</p>
    <p>Pick up only</p>

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  9. david62311

Geez...my thread has been hijacked...LOL. I never had pickup only showing in my Bootstrap theme. Most of my bootstrap is from Hansalis's Github. Most of it is good but, not all.

Thanks for the HTML 101 Lessons. Bootstrap is not supposed to have <br> in it. Code academy mentions not to use <br> in their tutorials. I remember that much. Don't ask me what video tutorial it's in. When you look at http://www.w3schools.com/bootstrap/bootstrap_forms_inputs.asp and then go down to the selection box section, they don't show <br> in their example there. This is what they show in their example.
    HTML:
    <div class="radio">
      <label><input type="radio" name="optradio">Option 1</label>
    </div>
    <div class="radio">
      <label><input type="radio" name="optradio">Option 2</label>
    </div>
    <div class="radio disabled">
      <label><input type="radio" name="optradio" disabled>Option 3</label>
    </div>
    With Bootstrap the stuff on a page moves around and shrinks according to the device the user is looking at it on. With the <br> on the page it can screw all up all of the flexibility and make it look funky.

10. NozlafAu

NozlafAu Active Member

facebook sale groups are not going away but not sure they change anything, people want to sell on facebook and have for a long time without the sale group functionality

the items im selling using webid cant be sold on sale groups if they could i would use it I guess

I had considered using ebay to sell items but it doesnt do exactly what I wanted to do so I started using webid its good enough code i've tried to improve it but people should use facebook sale groups if that suits them why not, its a free option for people who want to sell 2nd hand goods generally.

11. NozlafAu

NozlafAu Active Member

in relation to the boostrap theme, the code is almost entirely from Super_st 's 1.1.2 mod, i'm sure he would be the first to say he used it entirely as a learning experience and I think he has done a very good job but it does have some mistakes or oversights which need to be fixed

if you want to help with the code you can fork it improve it and put in pull requests to contribute your code back, that would be brilliant because currently there is not a lot of people actively contributing to the code, Renlok, LOD and myself and no-one has any updates to the theme since I fixed a couple of issues with its original commit after Super_st provided the first copy of it

i know LOD is probably still working on the admin theme side of things but I think its mostly finished

12. super_st

super_st Well-Known Member

Yeah sorry if my coding is alittle sloppy in places. It was my first full bootstrap theme attemp and I did rush it to get it done as we all know there are lots of pages in webid. The break line just increase the spacing but I don't think it effected anything when viewing in different devices.

I just wanted to contribute something, or give the basis to a more responsive theme

I am working on another project at the moment for which I have been trying to be more tidy in regards <br> tags and also tabbing the pages correctly.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    NozlafAu and david62311 like this.
  13. NozlafAu

NozlafAu Active Member

sell.tpl is like 650 lines and there are 9 <br>'s i dont think you did too bad....

14. david62311

Look, it's really just my opinion that I think it shouldn't be use like that. Everybody else can be happy with the <br>. Everybody can have their own opinion or not even care.

15. NozlafAu

NozlafAu Active Member

no I agree it needs to be fixed but I don't want to do it

16. david62311

I'm watching one Sale Group on Facebook and I noticed the one I am a member of is part a bulletin board. People ask where can I buy the best sandwich, someone stole my bike(showing a photo of it), have you seen these crooks, or I just ripped off by someone. The last one I at least got to say and I did tell them to do business with a company like Paypal because you have a little protection when doing business. The site on FB that i am on is aimed at the local people here. We Admin's can at least get some info from the people that are up to no good like their IP address which sometimes can or can't be useful. It's better for them to do business on a Real Auction site rather than deal with people on Facebook and have to deal with somewhat unrecorded transactions.

17. david62311

That stupid sale site that I belong to on Facebook that is for my county that people sells locally on has grown past 90,000 people. Every weekend there is an everything must go type sale. It's very depressing to see they got 90,000 to join and don't know squat about coding. Facebook is killing me. Now Facebook just recently added buy and sell groups. I'm about ready to through in the hat. We got way too much competition out there and getting people to join our Webid site will take a lot of work and the finding the right niche to attract people. My Webid site doesn't have the right niche. That's for sure. I may just gut the site and make it into a photo gallery and try to come up with a new niche trying to focus on a different crowd. The niche on my page just not working.

18. nay27uk

Yep the hardest part is finding a niche but guess what eBay have a category for that, I have tried webid on more than at least 4 good niches now Radio Equipment, Students, Fishing and a few others but could only get no more than 90 members that never sold on my sites even after advertising them in the right places. The key is to have at least 10.000 items listed on your site under as many bogus seller names as you can before promoting your site. If people think a site is being used they will follow suit.

19. NozlafAu

NozlafAu Active Member

have any of you tried just posting into those groups links to individual items that you have for sale? seems like it would work fine from my experiance using them

20. david62311

Thanks for the dood tips @nay27uk . I wish I could come up with with 10,000 items to sell. I did post a few fake items that I thought would help my site but, I rarely see real people on there on anymore when I observe the logs. Real people will trigger all of the thumbnails usually when they come on to the site.

I have recently been looking at SEO tips and stuff. Website owners should submit sitemaps.xml every so often from what I read because giving sitemap updates to search providers lets them know the site hasn't gone dormant. The search engines will lose interest in our sites if we don't do submit the sitemaps every so often. I did have my DJ Site that had just sat there for years and I recently gutted the whole and used a bootstrap theme on it and have added over 20 pages and then submitted the sitemaps.xml file on Yahoo/Bing and Google. It seems to be getting some traffic now and it never really did in the last few years so, it does seem to help to add more content. I added a YouTube page and a Free music page of some old tracks I made which should attract some people looking for Free music. It's my music that I created so, I am allowed to share it.

I've been using the w3 validator https://validator.w3.org to check the work I did on the DJ site and corrected what it said to do. I just now checked my Webid site...omg...there's 99 reported errors on my modern home page. Only 36 in the classic theme. Most of these should be able to be fixed but, will take some time. Remember, I said I checked the home page. That's only one page that was validated. Other pages would have to be validated too. If it's in the global_header.tpls and the footers then it will be easy to fix them for each page but, if they are on the individual pages it could take a lot of time.

By the way, I made a mistake in my post. Facebook already had the buy and sell groups. I just recently noticed that they added Shops.