Email issue - Closing auctions resume...err what?

Discussion in 'General Support' started by david62311, Dec 24, 2016.

1. david62311

david62311 Well-Known Member

I used to just get one email showing a table of closing auctions. Now I get an email for each closing auction. Why is that? I relisted 12 test items for 24 hours. When they closed, I got 12 separate emails with the title saying "Closing auctions resume" and they did not resume, they closed. pani100 had fixed the closing auctions table so, it would be right, a couple of years ago and it was sending a full list of closed items in one email. Each email now also shows the same item listed twice on the table like this.

capture-20161224-090454.png

In the cron.php page here https://github.com/renlok/WeBid/blob/master/cron.php#L538 it shows this code:

PHP:
    // send cumulative emails
    $query "SELECT id, name, email FROM " $DBPrefix "users WHERE endemailmode = 'cum'";
    $db->direct_query($query);
    $user_data $db->fetchall();
    foreach (
    $auction_data as $row) {

$query "SELECT * FROM " $DBPrefix "pendingnotif WHERE thisdate < CURRENT_TIMESTAMP AND seller_id = :seller_id";

$params = array();

$params[] = array(':seller_id'$row['id'], 'int');

$db->query($query$params);
        if (
    $db->numrows() > 0) {

$pending_data $db->fetchall();

$report_winner 0;

$report "<table cellspacing='0' cellpadding='10' border='1'>";

$report .= "<tr><th colspan='2'><h4><br>" $MSG['BUY_NOW_ONLY_TPL_0100'] . "</h4></th></tr>";

$report .= "<tr><th>" $MSG['168'] . "</th><th>" $MSG['453'] . "</th></tr>";
            foreach (
    $pending_data as $pending) {

$Auction unserialize($pending['auction']);

$Seller unserialize($pending['seller']);

$report .= "<tr><td width='250'>" $Auction['title'] . "<br>(ID: " $Auction['id'] . ")</td>";
                if (
    strlen($pending['winners']) > 0) {

$report .= "<td width='250'>" $pending['winners'] . "</td></tr>";

$report_winner 1;
                } else {

$report .= "<td width='280'>" $MSG['1032'] . "</td></tr>";
                }

$query "DELETE FROM " $DBPrefix "pendingnotif WHERE id = :pending_id";

$params = array();

$params[] = array(':pending_id'$pending['id'], 'int');

}

$report .= "</table>";
            include 
    INCLUDE_PATH 'email/endauction_cumulative.php';
        }
    }
    In the database under webid_users it shows cum...ooh gross. Here's a picture that shows mine is set for cum. Seriously, we couldn't of come up with better string than cum? First it was funny to see tittable and now cum. LOL

capture-20161224-100611.png

In my user's panel I found where I can set that in the selleremails.php page.

capture-20161224-101147.png

Mine is set to Receive one cumulative e-mail once a day. The wording sounds wrong there. I don't get an email every day.

With the selection above that: Receive one e-mail for each closing auction sounds more like what I am receiving. I'm going to set it to that and see what happens and let you all know.

Take a couple of days off and have a Merry Christmas!

2. david62311

I just manually closed one item and it only showed one item instead of that and a replicate in the email. I will let them all close together tomorrow but, I assume now that I will still get one email per closed item.

The problem should be with the cumulative email on how it's being sent out. I'm going to assume the problem is in the cron.php file code where I pointed it out in the first post under // send cumulative emails.

Just in case I am missing something here, we do have some extra code for the closing auctions with no winners. https://github.com/renlok/WeBid/blob/master/cron.php#L415

PHP:
            // Send mail to the seller if no winner

if ($Seller['endemailmode'] != 'cum')
            {
                include 
    INCLUDE_PATH 'email/endauction_nowinner.php';
            }
            else
            {

// Save in the database to send later

$query "INSERT INTO " $DBPrefix "pendingnotif VALUES
                (NULL, :auc_id, :seller_id, '', :auction_data, :seller_data, :date)"
    ;

$params = array();

$params[] = array(':auc_id'$Auction['id'], 'int');

$params[] = array(':seller_id'$Auction['id'], 'int');

$params[] = array(':auction_data'serialize($Auction), 'str');

$params[] = array(':seller_data'serialize($Seller), 'str');

$params[] = array(':date'date('Ymd'), 'int');

}
        }
    I am still assuming the issue is in the first the code I shared from the cron.php page.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  3. david62311

In the code from post #2 if you look at the database pendingnotif table it shows auc_id & seller_id with the same number.

capture-20161224-111858.png

Something seems wrong here. seller_id should be similar or the same to the user_id correct or what? There is a SELECT for seller_id in the post #1 code under // send cumulative emails.

If you look at post #2 then you can see the INSERT code there is for auc_id instead of auction_id and there is no auc_id table there. I think something is wrong there with that picture.

4. david62311

I set my emails back to get one cum email per day. I made an adjustment in the code and changed it from auc_id to auction_id like this:

PHP:

{
                include 
            }
            else
            {

;

$params = array();

}
        }
    To this:

PHP:

{
                include 
            }
            else
            {

(NULL, :auction_id, :seller_id, '', :auction_data, :seller_data, :date)"
    ;

$params = array();

$params[] = array(':auction_id'$Auction['id'], 'int');

}
        }
    ...and when I closed my test item, I only got the item reported once instead of twice as you can see in the picture below.

capture-20161224-120111.png

I reset the code to be the way it was with auc_id and oddly I am only getting one item showing on the table so, maybe something else is causing a 2nd copy of the same item to show twice. I will toy around with it more and see if I can replicate the duplicate closed items showing again and let you know if I find anything.

When I manually close the item on yourauctions.php page, it shoots me an email. When I close several items manually it sends me an email almost immediately for each item closed. This code is supposed to be set up to send later as the message describes here below but with the else, it doesn't when I manually close the item. Maybe there is a code bypassing that cron.php page in the yourauctions.php where I manually close the item(s). I will have to look. It should be running through the cron. If I change it to be if ($Seller['endemailmode'] = 'cum') then no email is sent right away.

PHP:

{
                include 
            }
            else
            {

;

$params = array();

}
    I know I am thinking out loud here and it could confuse 99% of you. I could also be the only person who has the issue for all I know. Let me know if you got the same issue.

5. david62311

This issue is a bit annoying when I get a dozen separate emails for my 12 closing items. I am having trouble figuring out why it doesn't create one table with a list of items that just closed and then send me that table and list of closed auctions in one email.

The process is sending one email with table and one item for each closing item. It seems like it sends one email and then loops back to the starting code and processes it again. Maybe it has something to do with the foreach in this code. The code used to use a while loop there but, now it's coded differently with foreach loops..

PHP:
     "SELECT id, name, email FROM " $DBPrefix "users WHERE endemailmode = 'cum'";
    foreach (
    $auction_data as $row) {

$query "SELECT * FROM " $DBPrefix "pendingnotif WHERE thisdate < CURRENT_TIMESTAMP AND seller_id = :seller_id";

$params = array();

$params[] = array(':seller_id'$row['id'], 'int');

if (
    $db->numrows() > 0) {

$pending_data $db->fetchall();

$report_winner 0;

$report "<table cellspacing='0' cellpadding='10' border='1'>";

$report .= "<tr><th colspan='2'><h4><br>" $MSG['BUY_NOW_ONLY_TPL_0100'] . "</h4></th></tr>";

$report .= "<tr><th>" $MSG['168'] . "</th><th>" $MSG['453'] . "</th></tr>";
            foreach (
    $pending_data as $pending) {

$report .= "<tr><td width='250'>" $Auction['title'] . "<br>(ID: " $Auction['id'] . ")</td>";
                if (
    strlen($pending['winners']) > 0) {

$report .= "<td width='250'>" $pending['winners'] . "</td></tr>";

$report_winner 1;
                } else {

$report .= "<td width='280'>" $MSG['1032'] . "</td></tr>";
                }

$query "DELETE FROM " $DBPrefix "pendingnotif WHERE id = :pending_id";

$params = array();

$params[] = array(':pending_id'$pending['id'], 'int');

}

$report .= "</table>";
            include 
    INCLUDE_PATH 'email/endauction_cumulative.php';
        }
    }
    If anybody has the same problem and can figure out the issue and share a solution with us then that would be great!

6. david62311

I haven't been really working on this much but, I did find another issue. When I go into my Admin Panel panel and go to Active Auctions and then check the close now checkboxes on one or a few of the items and then close it, it does close but, it shoots me a language/EN/emails/html/endauction_cumulative.inc.php email. One problem I also see when I close an active auction item in my email message is that it says like it shows in the picture in post #1 that is closed yesterday when I just only closed it minutes ago. I feel the email shouldn't even be sent if the user is closing the item manually in the yourauctions.php page. The person closing it manually already knows it's closed. They really don't need an email to let them know that they just closed the item(s).

This issue of it still sending me messages as I showed in post #1 is still giving me problems. Any help will be great!

7. david62311

I'm getting somewhere now but, sleepy at the moment. If I go into the Auction Email Notifications in my user's control panel and set the sellersemails.php page to Receive one e-mail for each closing auction then when I close more than one item manually it shoots me the correct email for each item closed. The message in the email says "Your auction has ended with no winner on" and it shows an image of the item too. The messages seems more the like the message we should use. I will look at this later but, feel free to look into all of this.

8. renlok

renlok Administrator Staff Member

Had a look at this and think I found the problem
    change
    PHP:
    to
    PHP:
    $params[] = array(':seller_id'$Seller['id'], 'int');
    and change
    PHP:
    to
    PHP:
    $query "SELECT * FROM " $DBPrefix "pendingnotif WHERE date(thisdate) < CURDATE() AND seller_id = :seller_id";
    @david62311 can let me know it this works

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    nay27uk and hhavatar like this.
  9. david62311

@renlok I just coded it the way you shared. Thanks.

My old line was like this but, I still changed it to the way you shared the code:
    PHP:
    $query "SELECT * FROM " $DBPrefix "pendingnotif WHERE thisdate < :date AND seller_id = :seller_id";
    I went to my database and cleared out all of my webid_pendingnotif data that was there so, I could try to see what was going on. It looked like I had a lot of old left behind stuff there. Now, when I closed two items, in my yourauctions_c.php page, and I see two database entries there now. The two seller fields are exactly the same when I compared them one on top of each other.

I do see the line with the definition in the cron.php page with the $Auction and $Seller:
    PHP:

I'm going to let this run it's course and wait the 24 hours on my 14 test items and see what happens after they close and then I will report back here and let you know if it worked.

10. david62311

Something is not right. My auctions closed and no cumulative email. I will have to dig and see what went wrong.

11. david62311

@renlok I don't know what's going on and I haven't been working on this much but, I do try every couple of days to let the items and try to get it to work. I'm going to switch back to the older cron I had that was at least closing the items and sending the emails. I'm not sure if it was your updates or something else but, the items close and show closed only on my home page. If I look at my user's closed auction section it doesn't show anything. I went to my active auctions and closed a couple to see if they would close and then it triggered the rest of them to close once I manually closed two of them.

I am seeing in my pendingnotif in my database that when the item finally does close that it adds something there. So, I am seeing sort of how the notifications work but, not fully understanding it yet. I don't know if the cumulative email is supposed to make one recording in the database or many. It adds one recording for each item that is closed.

I think the issue lies in the loop under the // send cumulative emails .

I'm going to be working on this issue until I get it. The old cron that I switched back to is working when I close the items manually but, it still sends me one email per item closed and then follows through and DELETEs the pendingnotif as far as I know. Nothing is entered or left in the pendingnotif database table. It doesn't work with the update and it leaves the items in the pendingnotif database table and doesn't seem to ever send it even after a couple of days of waiting.

I feel I am close to figuring this out. I will try some things and see if I can get it to work. I report back if I can't get it to work.

I am attaching the cron.php page that I am working with now.

Attached Files:

12. david62311

@renlok Your fix at post #8 fixes a database issue with the seller id in the pendingnotif that wasn't being recorded correctly. The old problem was the user id wasn't being inserted correct. Your fix fixed that problem. I'm not sure about the time issue.

I am sorry I have not been around much. I only tinkered with my issue every so often. I have to remember what steps I have done every time I came back to tinker with it. I have been on this on and off.

My fellow Webid users, I just want to point something out. You may or may not know but, in the user panel under Auctions notification e-mails, for this issue you would have to have the setting set to "Receive one cumulative e-mail once a day". By default the user's are set to "Receive one e-mail for each closing auction".

I finally got a cumulative email to be sent to me with a full listing. This works if I go into my user's active auction page or yourauctions.php and I manually select a few items and then close then close them. Then I get an email with a table listing of closing items. I can only do this if I manually close one item or more, then it triggers the rest of the items showing on the home page that says closed on them. I'm having a closing issue now after the timer runs out and it might be from the CURDATE change or another time issue.

#8. capture-20170309-003523.png

This is stuck like this in the above picture unless I select one like I do below and I manually close it then, it will close the rest even though I am just closing one item.

capture-20170309-010353.png

My cumulative email looks like this now when I close my items.

capture-20170309-011923.png

The fix I came up with was right where I suspected it was where the foreach loop is in the cron page under:
    // send cumulative emails

Change:
    PHP:
    $query "SELECT id, name, email FROM " $DBPrefix "users WHERE endemailmode = 'cum'";
    foreach (
    $auction_data as $row) {
    To:
    PHP:
    $auction_data $db->fetchall();
    foreach (
    $auction_data as $row) {
    So, now I need help with the closing issue. The fix I am guessing has to do with the time. The issue I am having should be in the cron.php page.

13. david62311

It upsets me when I give a fix and it's not tested but, yet it ends up on Github and then no discussion is even made in a post like this. The last codes I shared in the post above this got added to Github. I am mad because I didn't get any credit for it just like when I fixed the picture uploader. Doing that will only hurt in the future. I will get over it. It's only part of the reason why I don't come in here to help that much anymore. The other reason and the big reason is because it seems like newbies come in here quite often and ask for help on the stuff that's already been fixed or a person comes in here asking for help on an email issue and they are asking for it not related to Webid but, on their own script. Then people acknowledge it and still help out. We aren't supposed to help people that don't share the Webid Copyright on their script unless they donate. Remember that!

Attached Files:

14. david62311

I am still trying to figure out why my items get to closing time and never fully close. It looks like this:

View attachment 3669

Why is this not working when I didn't touch any other code but, what's in my cron.php page and the only adjustment I made was Renlok's fix. The only coding that I believe I touched was the cron.php page coding. What could I have changed that would of caused that issue?

This part of the code below from the cron.php is supposed to set it to close but, it never gets triggered.

PHP:
    // Close auction

if ($Auction['sold'] != 's' AND $Auction['num_bids'] > AND $Auction['reserve_price'] > AND $Auction['current_bid'] < $Auction['reserve_price'])
            {

$query "UPDATE " $DBPrefix "auctions SET closed = 1, sold = 'n' WHERE id = :auc_id";
            }
            else
            {

$query "UPDATE " $DBPrefix "auctions SET closed = 1, sold = 'y' WHERE id = :auc_id";
            }

$params = array();

}

15. david62311

I think I am understanding this more now that I see that code posted there. Maybe I shouldn't say anything because then it will get added to Github without even a discussion here. The if statement using AND can be messing this up. All 4 of those have to be true in order to close my items. Then again, I am not sure that it's making it to this part of the code because when I go in and manually close a closed item that is still my user's active items, it closes the rest of them that are displayed closed on my home page. This more be more of a time issue.

I tried to substitute AND with OR on each but, it didn't trick it. My items still say closed when the time runs out. I may be looking in the wrong location. I will try to simplify that statement and cut parts of the code out and see if I can trigger the items to close when the timer runs out. If I can't get it to work then the code issue should be above these lines of code. Would that be a good assumption? When a program is read it starts at the top of the page and goes down. There's only 368 lines of code to look at.

To make the time on a test item go fast I went to my webid_auctions in my database and used this tool to convert to unix time to make it only takes minutes to close by adding the code to the ends column instead of 24 hours. http://www.onlineconversion.com/unix_time.htm I had to adjust it and add 5 hours to it for my timezone. You have to add or subtract hours according to your timezone. There may be a better unix converter out there but, that's the one I use.

16. david62311

Cutting down that line with all of the AND codes didn't work. The program never makes it to that part of the code to read that line.

This part of the code in yourauctions.php sets the database to close to the item and then connects to the cron page. Because it's being set manually to be closed, the cron page works.

PHP:
        if (isset($_POST['closenow']) && is_array($_POST['closenow']) && count($_POST['closenow']) > 0) {
            foreach (
    $_POST['closenow'] as $k => $v) {

// Update end time to the current time

$query "UPDATE " $DBPrefix "auctions SET ends = CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, relist = relisted WHERE id = :auc_id";

$params = array();

$params[] = array(':auc_id'$v'int');

}
            include 
    'cron.php';

$user_message .= sprintf($MSG['1149'], count($_POST['closenow']));
        }
    }
    This prior code was like this and this is what I am using because I haven't updated to use the CURRENT_TIMESTAMP.

PHP:
        if (isset($_POST['closenow']) && is_array($_POST['closenow']) && count($_POST['closenow']) > 0)
        {
            foreach (
    $_POST['closenow'] as $k => $v)
            {

// Update end time to the current time

$query "UPDATE " $DBPrefix "auctions SET ends = :time, relist = relisted WHERE id = :auc_id";

$params = array();

$params[] = array(':time'$NOW'int');

$params[] = array(':auc_id'$v'int');

}
            include 
    'cron.php';

$user_message .= sprintf($MSG['1149'], count($_POST['closenow']));
        }
    }
    So I need to find a query possibly similar to those and then figure out how to make it work.

17. david62311

I got it! I fixed the problem I was having when the time ran out and it said it was closed but, was still showing on the home page and in the database it did not show that it had closed. Now it's fixed. It was an old Webid issue that I found but, it is still floating around the latest coding. I knew I could figure out the closing issue I was having without any help! Thank you all!

Here's an example of what my cumulative emails look like.

capture-20170313-030734.png

18. david62311

Okay, I will let you all know what was blocking my auctions from closing. I won't leave you all hanging. I will share this so when someone now or in the future finds this same issue where the active auctions time runs out and they remain open on the home page and they say closed on them but, in the database they are not closed. The problem I had was in the admin panel under settings. I used to have the:
    Batch Procedures Settings>Run cron set to Non-batch but, for some reason it was set to just batch. It needed to be set to Non-batch. There's a message there stating:

If for any reason you can't run a cronjob on your server, you can choose the Non-batch option below to have batch.php run by WeBid itself: in this case cron.php will be run each time someone access your home page.

I could of saved a lot of time had I known that got switched on me. I didn't even think about it when I realized I was having closing issues with my live auctions that the timer was running out until recently. I never had the problem before. After all of the analyzing of the code, I learned more how the code worked but, I wasted time.

Now the auctions close correctly and I get the email after my code fix that I posted at post #12 and with Renlok's fix too at #8. This was the last cumulative email with my test items that I got to show you that it's working properly now. Did you really think I was leave you guys hanging? LOL

capture-20170315-233849.png

BabyDunk likes this.
  19. BabyDunk

BabyDunk Active Member

i know you have had the time of it trying to figure that out , you feel like kicking yourself when its something simple like that but at least you learned a lot on the way ;)
    i actually had a wee look myself to see if i have the same problem but thankfully i didn't, now we know its a cron needs set and mine has been set since day one, didn't like the thought of all the major functions only working when someone visits the site.
    Glad you got it sorted ;)