Dead project

Discussion in 'General Support' started by MESSIAH, Sep 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MESSIAH

MESSIAH Member

Hi @renlok if this project is dead so why U don't transfer this app to somebody who gonna continue this awesome script?

2. Casper

Casper New Member

Hi @MESSIAH
    Although I'm new to the WeBid project, I'm currently trying to get in contact with @renlok by email on this very subject, I have an abundance of time which I'm looking to focus on supporting the development of WeBid.
    Thanks,
    Casper

3. Casper

Casper New Member

I'd be fully dedicated to investing my time into development, solely because for me to use WeBid I know improvements need to be made.

4. Nootkan

Nootkan New Member

I just found this excellent script and would like to see it continue to be supported also. Hopefully the developers will continue to support this script through this forum. Just adding my vote for a wonderful script that should be continued.

5. david62311

david62311 Well-Known Member

It's not a dead script. If users would post when they found a problem then we take a look at it. The thing is, that a lot of the problems have already been solved and nobody is finding issues and asking for help here with issues that they find. If they did then we would help. A lot of the work does get on the Github site and the issues don't get mentioned in the forum.

Nootkan likes this.
  6. david62311

I didn't realize how dead it was. I didn't look closely at the Github page. I see now that nothing has been updated since the last update replaced database lock with flock on December 13th of 2017. I don't even think the lock with flock project got completed. I know I have made a few proposals since then so, I got to ask this question. WTF?

I guess this is a dead project after all! So many countless hours have been wasted for a lot of us trying to make it work. Then Facebook came out with it's marketing places and people lost interest here. At least the Webid Project helped me learn coding better. I appreciate all of the help and patience some of the coders had here with me while I was experiencing learning coding! Thank you! I was all over the place when I first joined the Webid Forum many years ago! I also learned from you guys!

We can continue to work on the Webid Project! There is no reason to stop! Hopefully more updates will be made to the Github sometime soon. If it doesn't, then we might as well abandon the Project! Maybe someone can clone the github work and take it over with permission from renlok.

7. Box Lot

Box Lot Super Moderator Staff Member Developer

Well for what's it's worth here is my take and barring any reply from Renlok in the short term

I see no problem people creating a version of their own project but I don't think that should be tracked and commented here though they are free to start their own community and project. Doing anything else would be really confusing for many and especially new people showing up here and more so as things progress on the "new" project.

As a moderator for this project I plan on enforcing not mixing the projects until I'm told otherwise as this is a Webid branded community and project.

If asked I would volunteer to moderate and help when I can with a "new" project.

Let's remember, this is a community project and doesn't necessarily rely on a leader to get the job done. In fact the goal is to make it self sufficient with the community running things.

8. Box Lot

The only question I could see is how to package and post the updated project for download. I believe Nay could help in this area and perhaps a small cadre of experienced members could join together to agree on blessed releases.

Lol, threw Nay under the bus!

nay27uk likes this.
  9. nay27uk

nay27uk Super Moderator Staff Member

OUCH thanks Box Lot no like you I would be willing to help out but would not wish to step on any toes while doing so.

Box Lot likes this.
  10. david62311

I just meant to have someone in control of branch to Webid that could check out our work and then submit it.

I just got one of my old commits on the Webid Github site accepted today so, I was happy to see Renlok did that. Maybe not a lot of commits get put there anymore and that could be why nothings was added for a while.

11. david62311

I forget who it was that I think they asked Renlok for permission to use the script to make it as there own with a different name. They called it u-Auctions. It's was the very old Webid Script and this old Webid User did not get very far. He did manage to get it on Softaculous and you can find it with Google search listed on Softaculous. The demo, the CSS is even screwed up. I think the user's name here was U-bidz. If he was to try and make it as his own script to share with people, you would think he would of presented a script that was working and up to date.

I thought I had seen u-Auctions on my own Softaculous a couple of years ago but, it's not there anymore. My server service probably had the script removed. I never mentioned anything about it here in the forum because it wasn't that great!

12. renlok

renlok Administrator Staff Member

Anyone is free to make a fork of the project as long as you don't break the licence I don't really mind that's why I gave it the licence it has.
    I don't really want to project to die I just don't have much time anymore and that's not likely to change any time soon. I did have big plans of rewriting the project (you can see it here) but I didn't get too far.

So realistically going forward I am going to focus on smaller goals.
    - I'm going to try checking the github more often to accept/reject pull requests.
    - I'm going to try keep on top of bug reports (the problem atm is a lot of reports are rubbish or really out of date, so I am tempted to just close a big chunk of the reports if they don't seem valid)
    - Probably not going to add any features (maybe I will accept them as pull requests) just wont to get it stable

13. MESSIAH

MESSIAH Member

@renlok Can U add me to dev team or transfer this repo to me? I want continue this project. I was add my own very good features like "user ratings" showing on google results page

14. renlok

No but of you send a push request if it's good I'll add it.

nay27uk and Box Lot like this.
  15. MESSIAH

MESSIAH Member

This's very weird. It's seems looks like U don't know many things about coding like php. Sometimes U collect donations from users and U just improve code that's all - no more features. I'm junior php and I was made more improves than U. Now U don't want continue project and U don't want transfer this project to other dev team and now U waiting just for pull req? WTF? Once upon a time I was pull req picture with faulty codding - gif was not showing as should do and U accept this pull without checking. This looks like U paying to somebody who know something about php and keep rest of donations in Ur pocket. LOL

16. Box Lot

You could also add your contribution as a modification.

nay27uk likes this.
  17. david62311

How much does @timw255 cost to update the coding like he did the last time? That programmer was SUPER GOOD and FAST at coding! I am pretty sure he got paid to be here.

18. MESSIAH

MESSIAH Member

https://github.com/timw255
    Here is his profile - he was active 2 days ago.

And join to my project:
    https://github.com/MESWEB/UrBid

19. renlok

I think you seriously underestimate how much it would cost to pay a programmer. Decent programmers charge upwards of $50 an hour. I have made almost no money over the 10 years I have run this place. I defiantly can't afford to pay a programmer. And more importantly why would I give you the project?

Box Lot and nay27uk like this.
  20. MESSIAH

MESSIAH Member

Because i know something about PHP, HTML, CSS etc and servers and many more. So i like this project and I wish to continue it for free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.