Auction site insurance

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by david62311, Aug 12, 2018.

1. david62311

david62311 Well-Known Member

I noticed ebay has a great guarantee to protect the consumer. https://pages.ebay.com/ebay-money-back-guarantee/ I thought this is a great idea to give consumers. I was just a victim of a scam and one of the gateway companies came through for me and I got my money back but, I almost didn't. Is there any insurance that we can purchase to protect our users from being scammed and to protect us from ourselves from being sued out of lots of money?

2. nay27uk

nay27uk Super Moderator Staff Member

Public Liability Insurance is what I think it would fall under in the UK not sure about the USA though

david62311 likes this.
  3. david62311

Public Liability Insurance here in the States is for in case someone gets hurt on a property.

4. david62311

It looks like PayPal has buyer protection. https://www.paypal.com/mh/smarthelp/article/what-is-paypal-buyer-protection-faq1269 That should be good enough to help us out.

If someone writes a check then they should have to deal through their bank. Checks would be more risky to deal with. I was using a credit card when I got scammed.

I put in a dispute with my card company and was emailing the gateway company that I donated to too. I am sure they were insured because they paid out over $1,000 spread out between about 7 of us victims that were in Facebook chat for about 2 months before the gateway company came through for us. We were in the chat room for so long because the girl that we believe was stringing us along pointing fingers at the dude that set up the gateway account.

Both of those people lived in my county and I did get more than half back from the girl after it was wired to her from the dude by moneygram. The gateway company came through and we all got our money back but, the scammers made off with some too.

My Country where I grew up is not very big! These two people that pulled this scam now are having their names dragged through the mud. A lot of people know them. I am just going to let it go instead of saying something on Facebook to Escalate it more. I got my money back.

I don't like that a scam was pulled off and they are pretending like they are trying to clean up their name when the two of those people are the only ones that really know what happened to the money. We know the dude initially transferred the money from the gateway company but, we don't know how much he moneygrammed to her.

Just be careful out there! It's easy to fall for a scam even if you know the people!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2018