API bot check to help keep the bots out of your webid 2015-05-06

API bot check to help keep the bots out of your webid

1. jjjason84

jjjason84 Donor Donor

jjjason84 submitted a new resource:

API bot check to help keep the bots out of your webid - API bot check to help keep the bots out of your webid

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
  2. jjjason84

jjjason84 Donor Donor

I just updated this mod with the correct and working API code.

3. david62311

david62311 Well-Known Member

It looks similar to pani100s projecthoneypot and botscout mod. The only difference with pani100's mods are we use our own api key after we sign up for accounts at projecthoneypot and botscout and we use our own websites as well when adding botscout and projecthoneypot.

Not sure if you meant for us to use your site and your api key for us to add your mod to our sites. That most likely would slow down your site if everybody used it.
    PHP:
    "https://www.u-auctions.com/api/check.php?action=api-check&email="
    Not all bad bots get added to a blacklisted. The bot controller can generate a long list of email addresses to use with their bots and a lot of the emails are too new to have been reported. It's good for us admins to use instincts too on how to detect them.

It would be better to block out IPs instead of email addresses. Checking out email addresses could slow down a site. Checking out IPs would have less of list to check to verify a signup. Like for instance, this one IP that I will share here has 1103 gmail accounts but, uses the same IP. Check this botscout link out. http://botscout.com/search.htm?stype=q&sterm=46.151.52.46&cc=&page=1 Can you imagine that this is only one IP using all of those email addresses on how long it would take to find a matching email on a blacklist there. Other IPs that I have seen that have been reported use more email addresses than that.

If companies like gmail, yahoo, hotmail, outlook or any type of pop3 account like that would add some kind of security to stop emails being generated quickly then the internet wouldn't have spam bots registering on sites like ours and we wouldn't have to worry about spam bots.

4. tomper

tomper New Member

When the list is updated , do I have to redo the process of the mod or will it update alone?