1.1.0 Progress & Feedback

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by renlok, Aug 16, 2011.

1. renlok

renlok Administrator Staff Member

The next release I'm working towards is 1.1.0 which is going to give a massive improvement on the user experience for both user and admin.

(Note: I know in a past post I said 1.1.0 will bring a ton of new feature but I feel the user experience is what is letting WeBid down and the features will unfortunately have to wait a little longer)

All changes to the SVN and git will be towards 1.1.0 and this thread is where i hope to get feedback on work I've done and on how we can further better the WeBid user experience.

OK it's been waaaaay too long since I did an update... or did any coding for this

Well 1.1.0 is on its way again and really want to get a release candidate released within the next month.

racken likes this.
  2. phasar

phasar New Member

Very Nice RenloK

I can hardly wait :)

3. Box Lot

Box Lot Super Moderator Staff Member Developer

Agreed. Split pages are rarely good anymore.

4. renlok

alright Ill work on merge them together

5. John Craftycarping Oliver

John Craftycarping Oliver New Member

I think theres some very simple but most needed things missing on the list creation page, the main one being an item condition dropdown box(New or Used Option) what do others think ?

Also same as above dropdown box but for Estimated delivery or dispatch time with options from 1 working day upto say 10 working days.

And again another dropdown box which should editable admin side for Carrier selection, ie courier or royal mail posting options in our case.

I like the new layout so far on the listing page and the image uploader looks better great work.

6. phasar

phasar New Member

I agree with the New/Used option, but as for the rest, it depends on the seller and there could be THOUSANDS of variations. Just how big do you want the drop box to be?

Carrier selection is an agreement made between buyer and seller, so why would admin want to be troubled with it?

7. John Craftycarping Oliver

John Craftycarping Oliver New Member

Yep i agree with there are different variables, but this could be an option edited in admin side, as we are uk based we would only use the one and only postal service we have royal mail. I already have in my head how we would set ours out, like this.

Select postal service

Royal mail 1st class standard
    Royal mail 2nd class standard
    Royal mail 1st class recoreded
    Royal mail 2nd class recoreded
    Royal mail special delivery

Parcelforce 24hr
    Parcelforce 48hr

Other courier

so the options would be there but not a massive drop box at the same time, the postage fee would reflect the service chosen.

8. phasar

phasar New Member

It sounds like you're talking about your own store, not an auction site with thousands of users from around the world

If there are thousands of users from around the world, there is going to be thousands of variables

9. Chrissio

Chrissio New Member

Hello,

at this moment a good work, but there are many problems:

1) if someone uses german umlauts in language file, there ist a problem with sending confirm for new members:

Confirm in german is "Bestätigen";
    in the language file it is $MSG 249;
    The correct german code for language file is "Bestätigen"

But the confirm-Button will send the letter for "ä" = "ä" - "Bestätigen" - it will be not accepted for confirm.

The same problem i think is possible by other languages which uses special characters.

2.) In converter.php of 1.1.0 is an error i posted here with corrected converter.php

3.) in payment it is not possible, to save a normal Bank Account number, sort code, name of bank or iban-data. Many Sellers give customers the bank account data for paying the bills.

Look to the function "aftersales" by the big "electronic Bay" ;) .

Possible to make a dropdown list for using existing lists of (not only german?) name of bank and sort codes.

4.) The category Management (store english Text in database and in category language files) is not good for multi language.

Better, to store all text (en, de, dk, hu, ru, etc.) in database only for better editing in admin panel, and each click on "Save" saves the text in database and the respective Catecory Language files for later use without database access.

You have already programmed something similar - in the FAQ function - there are generated for each language database entries, this function would have to rebuild only the categories according to function.

In attached file you will find a sql-dump from categories-table with english categories (cat_name_en) and german translates (cat_name_de).

if one solves the same way as in the function in the FAQ, there will be no more confusion if you use multiple files of different languages ​​translator

5.) After user-login user is directed to user_menu.php - thats wrong, better users see index.php with many articles.

6.) /admin/increments.php

If no entry is made ​​in the data fields and "Save changes" clicked, in the database is created in a field, "0.00". If you delete this, it will immediately set up again.

Select all / Remove all markers are without function!

7.) /admin/usergroups.php

Click in user>> groups of users to save changes to the database an user group ID 3, ID 4, ... is created with no name and no rights. These user groups can not be deleted

8.) admin/newsletter.php

I miss in user>> create Newsletter the possibility to save and retrieve standard texts for newsletters!

There is no possibility of a newsletter preview or send test-newsletters to admin before shipping.

Possibility of personal address Emails with user data? "Dear Mr. / Ms Willi Wacker ..." etc. using a variable

9.) admin/banips.php

Why (in times of dynamic IPs) "Manage Users>> IP Addresses>> Blocked IP addresses" block IP addresses?

Only makes sense if you can also enter ranges of IP addresses - eg 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255 or 192.168 .*.* but this would need to reference in the logs targeted attacks, or to the IP address that caused an error.

10.) The Admin user can be deleted stupid way! This allows you to lock out yourself !
    WebID tells "Create Admin Account" after calling the admin area, and you can create a new admin.

This opens the door to abuse, i think.

It would be better, it would protect the last remaining administrator account (for example, can be deleted NOT if marked as active admin). I miss the option admin-mail address -> sending a new password via e-mail!

Admin enable / disable has no function!

11) Last but not least this bug in Check version.

I think it is many work inside of my post!

Greetings from germany, Chris

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
    Yiannis likes this.
  10. grandpha

grandpha Donor Donor

There are so many known issues and they already have fixes but they are still not included in the newer versions. Every time I do a new installation on my live site it's a pain because I have to go all the way back and do all this little fixes like the SSL fix that Box Lot posted on the forums , the converter not working the price for multiple item sell is not calculated right ( at least for 1.0.2) and all the rest. We should make sure the basic stuff needed for a live site is working properly and than add new features .I am stuck with this site for almost two years now and can't advertise it yet because it will be a waste of money. Even if it's free people won't use a site that doesn't work right. I suggested a while ago and I do it again because I think it's really important. Every update should have a list with the files that are changed and maybe the changes made to the data base , this way it will be a lot easier for people with live websites to do the updates.The updater is not working right and to do a new install on a live website every time a new version comes out it's too risky in the first place than you need to stop the site for at least 30 min and than you need maybe 2 days to compare the databases and all the files.
    The Google Feeder is an important tool and that cannot be done without the condition box. And it must have only new or used.
    Than I can confirm that Select all / Remove all markers in My control panel are without function!
    Also I think having a "usable" default theme will bring a lot of users to the webid project. Most of the people are leaving because either they don't know how or they don't want to spend time and money for a new theme. Having a nice default theme that people can go live with right away will make them at least give it a try for a few months or so ....

Yiannis likes this.
  11. Box Lot

Box Lot Super Moderator Staff Member Developer

They do and always have. r303 for example:
    http://simpleauction.svn.sourceforg...on?limit_changes=0&view=revision&revision=303

Best to have a duplicate site and then compare/edit files and test there when a site is already live.

Changes to the Database would be in install/sql/updatedump.inc.php

12. grandpha

grandpha Donor Donor

Thanks , I didn't knew about that. That's really nice....

13. Xeonn

Xeonn New Member

edit auctions not working with this revision. Means that when you edit active auction , after changes it closes automatically.
    Where to find solution for this?

14. renlok

Damn just looked at when I last made an update to the SVN :p sorry it's been so long since any progress has been made on this im in my final year at uni and have a lot of work on top of the fact im pretty lazy and disorganised. Anyway I will try my best to get some more work done on this soon so you dont all have to wait until I graduate before its done.

15. Xeonn

Xeonn New Member

I think that this "stupid system" works fine. It's far better than previous uploading pictures. Now user can upload pictures in easy way, without problems.
    For better usability of the script more important is to make stores available, or showing in active auctions categories etc.
    posibility to add states from admin, editing pictures in admin , and many functions described by user in requests on forum.
    And the most important - item conditions in categories edited in admin section. size, color, make, model, type etc.

16. Lucian Luci

Lucian Luci New Member

Invalid Attachment specified....

17. guadeira

guadeira New Member

What about webid v1.1.0 ?? no news since august 2011... Anybody can send files v1.1.0 in order to try and finish it? regards

18. guadeira

guadeira New Member

What about webid v1.1.0 ?? no news since august 2011... Anybody can send files webid v1.1.0 in order to try and finish it? regards

19. renlok

20. Xeonn

Xeonn New Member

ren, I work on 1.1.0 SVN and add mods to this version. How is your improvement for now? except 1.0.4 ;)