PDA

View Full Version : reinstalling problem

Uldtot
12-01-2009, 07:39 PM
Version 0.7.2 (rc9)

did a reinstall of webid becasue i fucked some files up and forgot the names :D

downloaded and now i only get blank pages....

bornauc.dk blank blank blank

help?

renlok
12-01-2009, 07:48 PM
you did a complete fresh install?

Uldtot
12-01-2009, 07:49 PM

yep. removed all files from FTP and database

Uldtot
12-01-2009, 07:49 PM

yep. removed all files from FTP and database

keep trying to get it to work now: on 4th reinstall try.

renlok
12-01-2009, 07:50 PM
oh your getting 500 error best way to fins whats wrong is to look in the server error log or the php error log... one of them will have something useful in it

Uldtot
12-01-2009, 07:51 PM
oh your getting 500 error best way to fins whats wrong is to look in the server error log or the php error log... one of them will have something useful in it

the 500 eror is the htaccess file. im trying a install again.. in 2sec it should be white again.

YEP white again

Uldtot
12-01-2009, 07:55 PM
i try again in a hour..removing all and waiting for host to update server.

back in 1 hour :P

Uldtot
12-01-2009, 08:39 PM
now i tryed a backup from my old server. and it worked.(cant use it tho, because of too many errors i made :P)

trying another reinstall (RC9), redownloading and installing.
update: im getting the install screen, (did get it before too)
update: please delete the install directory
update: deleteing install
update: now it mising text all over.... trying again.. deleting
update: finally now i can view the pages...

BUGS found in RC9:
cannot change language. ( in firefox it keep on being on english - internet explore wont show text.... should not have tryed to update :( )

Uldtot
12-01-2009, 09:18 PM
ignore my server problems. i wait until 0.7.2 is released ( and work on my design and language files while i wait :P) .
my site is now Down until release.

Box Lot
12-01-2009, 11:44 PM
Hassle!

Basic stuff so don't yell at me for suggesting it but with these early stages you might want to do what I do. Takes a little longer but never miss a file or overwrite. It's a practice I got into with a much larger retail site package I worked with.

First, anything I edit during the release or my customization I assign a color label in the browser for easy reference.

When I get a new version I just compare the folders/files where I have made edits. I pay particularly attention to categories since I have so many and had some pains getting them all in cleanly, also data.php settings, messages, etc.).

I used BBedit which is great and fast for these comparisons but lots of file/folder comparison programs out there. RC8-RC9 probably took me 45 minutes or less to get ready to upload.

I look carefully of course but so far I simply apply my custom changes to the new version files.

Then the new version folder is complete and updated so I just FTP over the old stuff. I double check the install folder in case there are new SQL database queries to make. Of course I keep the old folder locally until I'm sure it took.

Just for good measure, and to prevent that knee jerk panic when you see something weird (been there!), I clear the cache.

I haven't even created a custom Theme folder yet and have just been making edits in default but when we get further along I will certainly do that too and load the as-is default folder for reference and to make sure I don't overwrite in the future.

Maybe a little on the anal retentive side but I am who I am!