PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding Language/EN/categories.php



Box Lot
11-01-2009, 02:30 AM
Going by the counts there are some sub-categories missing on the site.

They are in SQL and look identical to other same sub-cateogries under different category parents and I've even tried editing a couple and saving in phpMyAdmin.

Is there a way to rebuild the noted file using what's in SQL?

Box Lot
11-01-2009, 02:45 AM
Already a follow-up and I had this similar problem when I was trying to set up the offline site.

I went into Admin and just hit process changes in an attempt to rebuild the file and it breaks the \' apostrophe escape that were uploaded into SQL (with the escapes) and they break the categories.php file resulting in an error on the site when pulling categories.

For example, a category I loaded as 1950\'s shows as 1950's when you look in phpMyAdmin and also shows up like that in the categories.php which stops the list dead.

Now prior to hitting the process in Admin the categories.php did have at least most (didn't check every line) of the escapes so clicking in Admin caused them to become apostrophes again.

Granted I loaded everything remotely but I'm wondering if this might effect even the smallest of category changes done directly in phpMyAdmin which I would think is going to be used by many even if they don't develop the entire category list offline as I had.
=====

If I look for one of the missing subcategories on the site it shows as a blank spot in the parent category where it would fall. It does show in the advanced search under the proper parent. It also shows in the categories.php prior to hitting the Admin process button.

Try to list and item and it just shows the arrow for the subcategory but does expand to the categories below that show up completely.

As if it isn't already weird enough, the confirmation email shows the entire subcategory name including the apostrophe and escape character (\')!

renlok
11-01-2009, 11:51 AM
yeah if you update the categories from phpmyadmin youll have to manually change the apostrophes to ' as thats how the WeBid script would escape them if you added them manually into the admin panel

Box Lot
11-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Strange that some identical ones worked.

I remember doing this during the online hassle but reverted back to escapes at some point.

Now, can I reload the category list via the panel with the ' inserted to get it to work or do I have to do find/replace in the categories file?

Box Lot
11-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Answered my own question and replaced in my local database and reloaded the categories via the panel. The subcategories in question are there now.

What other characters might I be missing? (I've done &, " and ') that WeBid handles this way?

Reason I ask is that I'm still off about 80 categories that among some 9,000 are hard to find which ones aren't there and when I process the categories in Admin I still get a server error so I'm guessing it is another character translation issue.

Easy enough for me to search locally when I know the character(s) culprit.

renlok
11-01-2009, 06:13 PM
well heres the complete list
& = &
# = #
< = &lt;
> = &gt;
" = &quot;
' = &#39;
( = &#40;
) = &#41;
% = &#37;

Box Lot
11-01-2009, 06:41 PM
Thanks for that, I'll copy for future use as I only knew a handful by heart.

Figured out the missing categories from upload. I searched by level with alphanumeric (>a) and missing subcategories had numbers!

Not sure why server error when clicking in Admin categories and I'm not concerned myself since I can always upload via the panel but let me know if you are and what I can do to track anything down.